1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals recommend me some TKL mechanical keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 27 Jun 2015.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

My microsoft ergonomic 4000 is on it's last days and is need of replacement. I could buy another one for £30 but I've been wanting to give a mechanical keyboard a try for a while now. The TKL design seems interesting and from reading brown and red switches sounds good (blues too loud and black to much force).

Backlighting would be an interesting feature if it can be turned off for when I move to a shared flat in london. My current keyboard dying from a damaged cord makes me feel that a replaceable cord would be a good idea. I will be buying from Taobao in China.

I've looked up the Ducky Shine 2 TKL and models range form £35-55 depending on switch and backlighting.

what others keyboards should I check out? What should I look for and avoid? If you are chinese I would be open to chinese brands as well.

Candidate boards (£30-50/ 300-500 RMB):
    • Ducky Shine 2
    • CM Storm
    • The Razer BlackWidow TE
    • Rapoo KX
    • LBOTS
    • KEYCOOL
    • Noppoo Lolita spyder 87

Last edited: 27 Jun 2015
  2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Filco

/thread :lol:

In all seriousness though - the Duckys are nice boards and fit many of your requirements. Personally I prefer Filcos but they don't come with replaceable cords or backlighting either. The CM Storm boards are good too. I'd definitely suggest starting on reds or browns unless you are either (a) solely typing or (b) very heavy handed.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

I will look at Filco boards as well, thanks George.
    The CM Storm boards are around the same price as the Ducky Shine 2
    unfortunately Filco (斐尔可) seem to start around £90 for the TKL (87键) and £110 for full size.
    The Razer雷蛇 BlackWidow TE is £45

Has anyone heard of Rapoo? they have a KX keyboard that is £50 had backlighting and wireless 5 Ghz, rechargable battery and wired mode. They offere different colors for keys but I don't think they have cherry switches, something about axis link official site (english)
    • Both wired and 5G Wireless modes for choice
    • Mechanical axis keys
    • Extremely comfortable hand feeling
    • Adjustable full backlit keys
    • Touch vibration power feedback
    • Free from battery replacement trouble
    • Exquisite craftsmanship
    • Pocket Nano receiver

LBOTS
    [​IMG]

KEYCOOL
    [​IMG]

Noppoo Lolita spyder 87
    [​IMG]

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Do you mean Noppoo? I've owned a Noppoo Choc Mini in the past - I only sold it as I couldn't get along with the layout, or with blues. Quite good build quality iirc. They're not Cherry switches - you can see the word Kailh on them which isn't good - the 'axis' isn't what gives it away however as that's just how switch or something translates from Chinese (blue axis etc)

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

is their a big difference between cherry and Kailh switches? Are cherry and topre switches the only "good" options? Is it a US layout? I can get a Noppoo Lolita spyder 87 for £35 with LED and £25 without. Hard to argue with those prices and it would be an upgrade from my current dome keyboard.

the Noppoo sold over 1000 in a month from one online shop. The LBOTS has sold almost 9000 a month but only comes with black or blue switches. I think I should only try red or browns.

From a youtube unboxing is seems that that Noppoo Lolita spyder 87 has removable USB cable which is a big plus for me as I can use a longer or shorter cable if needed.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

So, now research on Cherry vs Kailh
    Apparently the patent on Cherry switches has run out so Kailh is a legal copy
    Kailh switches are also found in Thermaltake Poseidon Z, as well as Razer and Mad Catz mechanical keyboards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]