1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia announces Battlebox 4K gaming programme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Oct 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

No thank's the price will be stupidly high.

I would want to get one of those SLI Bridges.

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

"GeForce GTX 780 or GTX Titan graphics boards in at keast two-way scan-line interleave" - least ?

I think most people with a budget which could buy one of these would likely be enthusiasts who would prefer to build there own system. I just can't see it working out.

4. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Same here. Just the bridge, nothing else.

It could work out: PC gaming is becoming an increasingly large market, and other gamers are getting older/don't have as much time to build high-end rigs anymore.. How else would these boutique vendors be surviving if they didn't have a market?

Also, SLI - Scalable Link Interface. Old-school SLI hasn't been used since the old 3Dfx days.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yarp. Fixed, ta!

6. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

They finally got round to releasing those bridges? They could have made a nice little lump of change selling them individually back when the Titan was released.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

As its just a name badge for what the mentioned OEM's are probably already making its not going to fail. Seems more like a marketing stunt, someone is bound to see the name 'Battlebox' and think WOW :eeek:

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

If I wanted 4K, I'd rather just wait for AMD's R9 290X - Titan-beating performance for a lot less money. Plus there's Mantle and games like BF4 that will be using it to consider.

9. SimoomiZ

SimoomiZ What's a Dremel?

And haven't AMD promised ~60fps at 4k off a single card(R9 290X), using 'low level' Mantle? If Mantle really does deliver , like libGCM has for the PS3, it could force Nvidia to go 'low level' too. Getting thrashed in terms of frame rates in Mantle supported titles ,won't be good enough, you'd imagine .

The DirectX + driver way is clearly wholly inefficient , maintained seemingly as much for proprietary reasons as compatibility ones. Considering the ever increasing electricity bills, if a better performing alternative to DX, with its wasteful ,artificially reduced HW FLOPS/watt performance shows up. If , big if , AMD can do this, they should be supported .

Last edited: 2 Oct 2013
  10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Promised =/= delivered. Don't count chickens before they're hatched...

11. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

You missed the big one though: Modern SLI has no relation at all to old SLi...

See my other post: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3427687&postcount=4

12. Gareth Halfacree

That I didn't know - I haven't used multiple graphics cards in a single box since the 3dfx days. You learn something every day - ta!

G0UDG likes this.
  13. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Gotta give them credit though: its a good name to get old-school gamers in!

14. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

it'd be nice if they fixed quad sli profiles - had 2x 690's and virtually gave one away in a little i7 system due to no noticeable performance increase in games