1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Messed up motherboard or GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synay, 8 Dec 2009.

?

What is broken?

Poll closed 11 Dec 2009.
  1. Motherboard

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Graphics card

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I recently was upgrading my computer with new motherboard. Asus Maximus II Gene to be exact. Now, I might have pulled out my GPU to hard and when PC boots I see nothing on the screen (the screen doesn't turn on, only stays on stand by, which means that it doesn't get any signal from the GPU, right?). To check I slotted the GPU to my old mobo with exactly the same result. When I disconnected the GPU and connected the cable to the integrated solution, everything works well. Off course I can't do that on the new one, as it has no integrated graphics chip. I'm about to purchase new GPU, so I seek your opinion. Do you think I messed up GPU connector (in which case I have to replace the GPU), or I messed up the PCI-E slot on the mobo itself? I'd appreciate the urgency of the replies as I have time to Friday morning to make up my mind. Thanks a lot guys!

2. simonw

simonw What's a Dremel?

From your own investigation, it appears that the gpu is at fault. Just wondering, does your board allow the gpu to work off the 2nd pci-e slot? You could try that too.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You've answered your own question: The GPU doesn't work in another motherboard. Your GPU is faulty.

[edit] I clicked the wrong box.. doh!

4. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I tried, and it doesn't work in the second slot as well. I suspected the gpu, thanks guys.

5. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

And the winner is............ GPU! Thanks for all the replys guys, made me more comfortable with parting with some cash :)