1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Poor Man's PC MOD (Illuminated Mid Plate)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jay2, 20 Nov 2012.

1. jay2

jay2 Indonesian Modder

Because I want an illuminated mid plate, although my case is not big enough to have a mid plate :duh:

Inspired by: Mr_Armageddon look at post #21, and 1 person in dutch/german modding forum (I forgot the link)

At first i want to make illuminated mid plate with my style (low budget), I've tried several possible combination white milk plastics, transparrant paper, white paper, small leds, ect but the light wont spread well..

So I end up using standard tools:
    - SMD LED strip (300leds / 5meter - 12$, you wont need all 5meter),
    - Clear plexyglass / acrylic & White milk acrylic (small order for 5$ (this is expensive for me:(, i can only afford 2mm thick each... Would be better if you use thicker plexy),
    - and still using cheap carton (less than 1$ /m2),
    - and cheap L shape alu (smallest size around 1cm, 2$ per 6meter).
    - a sheet of white paper
    - enough cable and 1 power pin
    - Sanding paper
    - Cutter / knive with ruler and all other basic modding tools.

[​IMG]
    *Sorry for images quality, they looks so great and clear on my pocket camera, but end up dark and blurry after I convert to upload friendly file. I edited a bit some of em to make em brighter.

The sizes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As I told you, if you use a thicker clear plexy or white plexy, you wont need a carton. But you should cover the back side of clear plexy to prevent escaped light. For better result, use mirror plexy. For me, just a white piece of paper is enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I damaged the led :wallbash:

[​IMG]

This is how it work:
    If you put a clear plexy, on top of mirror, and white plexy above all.. it wont emit good white light.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you put a gravir-ed (grafir?) plexy (I'm using 5mm thick plexy with around 1mm deep grafir), on top of mirror layer, i would emit good light effect, but that's not what i want. When you put a white layer on top of it, the result wasn't satisfactory.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting a thicker white plexy (around 5mm) would be a different story, you can see it at Mr_Armageddon's work log

I got the idea that a gravired clear plexy would produce better light effect. So instead of expensively gravirring my plexy (as what I see on dutch/german modding forum which I forgot the link), i'll just sand it with rough sanding paper. A make a deep scratch with a cutter. Sanded area facing down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is when i took with camera blitz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Light off

Yup, deep scratch produce better light.. so i made this:
    [​IMG]
    This is only the clear plexy. I feel failed as an engineer... I cant even make a straight line

And not the final result:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Call me noob in photography, but i cant take a direct photo shoot, it would end up like:
    [​IMG]

But in daylight, w/o turning on the led, a white plexy simply looks just fine.
    [​IMG]

I will cover those sides with some vinyl stickers... later..
    [​IMG]

For suggestion:
    - you should use a wider white plexy a few mm wider than the clear plexy to cover the area on top of smd led strip
    - you should use mirror layer as a base for better light reflection
    - you could use a thicker white plexy, or thicker clear plexy with a lot deep scratch.. the options is yours
    - you could use eL Panel for a lot better result, with as low as each
    - If you have anything in your mind, asking how to's, critics, suggestions, or even offensive poems, feel free to post here or PM me. :dremel:
    - If you have an idea and want me to make a simple guide (with low budget style), you may cantact me :thumb:

Please read my other cheapskate guide:
    - Poor Man's PC MOD (cheap PSU Sleeving + guide)

69 Dude!! dafuq

Last edited: 20 Nov 2012
  2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

i'm not big fan of lights etc. but this mod is really good! simple, affordable and solid!

3. Ra6

Ra6 What's a Dremel?

That's a great idea! I like it!