1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treated like **** by club security - should I do anything?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by boiled_elephant, 25 Aug 2014.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Perspective required.

I got kicked out of a club sober, after half an hour and one drink, for standing with my eyes closed. I didn't feel much like dancing, and I find deafening bass relaxing when I'm stressed, so I just zoned out at the side of a room with a drink in my hand.

After about 15 minutes (when it had been decided, somewhere, that I must have fallen asleep) I was grabbed by two bouncers and simply carried and shoved - quite violently - all the way to the stairs. I was so shocked and scared that I put up no resistance at all, but I protested quite articulately that I was neither asleep nor drunk. The bouncer shoving me hard every couple of steps yelled in my face that he didn't want to hear it and that I needed to leave. When we got to the stairs he shoved me up them, told the doormen to keep an eye on me, and told me not to come back.

I'm not much for macho ego, so I don't mind admitting that I was ****-scared. I felt abused and harassed, and I had no idea why it had happened - I could understand the initial misunderstanding, but there was simply no warning, no initial polite insistence that I leave. They just forced me to the door like a sack of potatoes, despite me being awake, respectful and sober.

Outside, I asked a policeman to breathalyze me, and it confirmed I was well below the driving limit. I tried to tell the doormen this, but they refused to listen; I'd been kicked out at the discretion of one of their colleagues, which was all that mattered.

Causally, I can see why they end up with this kind of attitude (people getting blind drunk and falling unconscious must be a routine pain in the arse), but the fact that I was given no chance or warning, and treated so violently, just has me shaken. I don't handle violence well and am a very passive person, and felt physically ill by the end of it. What would you do? Are there rules about how clubs can treat patrons? It it worth complaining; is there even anybody to complain to?

2. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

You can complain to management and that's about it its like flogging a dead horse wont get you anywhere and most of the time they wont listen as they will side with door staff unless there been an assault.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Sorry BE but as Big_malc says, you won't really get anywhere. As you say, bouncers are used to dealing with drunk tw@s so they will always assume the worst.

Just be glad you didn't end up with any physical injuries or a missing wallet would be my advice. Brood over it today, then put it out of your mind and crack on!

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I had one up on a couple of bouncers years ago in a grotty club in Swindon. Now I was smashed off my bonce and I just wanted out of the club. I headed for the main entrance doors which were closed and the bouncers smugly grinned that the exit was at the back of the club.

I looked up at both them and said I was going to throw up! I have never seen two blokes unlock a set of doors so fast in my life :lol:

Nedless to say I headed out and got a kebab and fell asleep in a multi storey car park. Good times :thumb:

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From what you describe, standing there with your eyes closed, drink in hand for 15min. My guess is they thought you were on drugs, it probably explains why the door man didn't care that you passed a breath test.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Basically. And the doorman will always back up the bouncers, the bouncers will always back up the doorman and each other, and they will never back down, even if it is obvious that they misjudged the situation. They must be seen to be a united team and to have absolute authority, for obvious reasons.

Just don't visit that club anymore.

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Sound advice, appreciate it. It's the putting it out of mind part that I struggle with, my brooding tends to last approximately forever. It just feels wrong that they can treat somebody like that for no reason without reproach.

And yeah, small market town; that club is one of only two. So I'm pretty much ****ed for the hometown now.

edit - more than anything I'm trying to stave off guilt here. I mean, did I do anything wrong?

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Should write a letter to da'management just stating the facts and remain emotive.

Hell even claim the money back on the drink that I assume you didn't get to finish! :thumb:

Doormen and Bouncers make me laugh. With many of them it's like a prestigious role they found themselves!

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No, you didn't do anything wrong.

Nothing you could have said or done would have changed their minds - they deal with drunk/drugged people most of the time, so their default tolerance level tends to be very, very low - and, as everyone else has said, the whole team from doormen to management will stick together.

Nothing you can do about it :(

boiled_elephant likes this.
  10. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Bouncers and clubs are pretty brutal / relentless. They basically refuse to listen, and will do as they wish, as in most cases (I realize you were sober) the person is intoxicated. I actually knew someone who was a bouncer, and part of the reason they just do as they wish is to keep people in line, they want to prevent things from escalating and people getting hurt.

I actually know a girl who slipped on a wet floor while sober on the weekend, requiring her to get stitches on her hand / fingers (she's a nurse too so this will affect her work) and the bouncers show up, tried to convince her she was drinking and fell, and that the floor was dry. They just want to cover their own behinds. Another time a bouncer turned down our entire party (roughly 15-20 people), we had booths and bottles for a friends b-day, and he was too intoxicated to get in, so they let all of us walk "to prevent him from being a problem".

11. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I would suggest just going back on another occasion and just go in. I very much doubt you'll be remembered and if you are you have at least got the option of talking to them on a different occasion

12. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Don't forget as well that even if they realised they were wrong half-way through, they're going to look a bit stupid if they suddenly change their mind.

Not an excuse, but perhaps an explanation.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I was going to say "burn it to the ground" but then I realised you've put your OP in serious.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Seems a measured response to the original problem! :D

15. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Forget it. I can understand you feeling rattled but it really is a non-event.

16. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Can I suggest you get yourself a decent amp and some bassy cans? That way you can relax in the comfort of your own home, with a decent drink and not have to associate with such pleasant happy chappys.

You'll get nowhere with any form of follow up. Bouncers are a law un to themselves.

17. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Yeah a few years ago one of my mates got put into a choke hold and dragged out of a club for dancing "too much", i wasn't overly impressed and decided to take the bouncer in a choke hold........ DIDNT END WELL!

At least you responded passively and no real physical harm occurred.

18. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Unless they specifically said that you were barred and to never come back you'll be allowed in again.

I don't know how many times my mates were thrown out of clubs when we were younger, only to turn up again the next weekend to be laughed at by the staff and told how stupid/funny they were.

19. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

The problem with "Doormen" (not bouncers any more, some take it offensively) is that they're trained to deal with unwelcome guests, not to provide good customer service.

Never protest that you may not be drunk, simply tell them you'd like to walk the rest of the way and leave in peace. Not like you'd want to be in a bar with these guys any ways.

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder