1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Limey ------> update: 14 nov. - more building progress

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rambo, 4 Oct 2009.

1. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

Hello!
    It's time for my new project. I spent a lot of time learning to draw with catia so that I could draw my own case in it.

This case will have a inside frame were everything will be mounted on. This will be black, and a design outer case witch will be lime green. I am going to make the outer case from fiberglass and the inner frame and stuff from aluminium and perspex. I don't know it for sure, but I am thinking of putting noise reduction foam on the inside of the case. (not shown in the pictures)

The case will have 2 doors, 1 at each side, but 1 door will have a perspex window. I will make everything myself including the IO panel and the motherboard mounting plate. I will use a lot of milling and turning for the inner frame. And I am learning CNC turning and milling so this will be cool to use too.

Here are some screen shots of my case etc. I used a couple of ways to show it: I rendered a couple of pictures so its looks nice and clean, but I am not great with catia, so I did not render some pictures, because it looks better then. (I had some trouble with lighting the pictures, because it generates natural shades) I made some pictures the colour grey so you can see the things better (since almost everything is black).

Have fun:
    A picture of the overall case not rendered full colour:
    [​IMG]

A rendered picture of the case without the left door/window full colour:
    [​IMG]

A rendered picture of the inside frame with everything on it just grey and some black:
    [​IMG]

A rendered picture of the outer shell no doors no inside:
    [​IMG]

Screen shot of the motherboard plate and the IO panel:
    [​IMG]

Screen shot of the psu mounting plate:
    [​IMG]

Screen shot of the DVD hanger:
    [​IMG]

And my HDD hanger. 2 Perspex supports that are mounted with 4 vibration dampers to 2 plates of aluminium that are in a useless but cool shape. Where I can store 2 HDD. (1 showed because you can see more that way)
    [​IMG]

I hope that you like it and that you will be looking forward to see where this is going to! :D:naughty::hip:.
    Julian

Last edited: 14 Nov 2011
  2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Looking good mate, I really like your hard drive mounts. I will be keeping an eye on this and am looking forward to seeing the finished case.

3. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

woah. very nice design (and renders)
    am really digging the curves

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

Sweet renders, I was going to make a comment about the angle of the drives effecting them. But I really do not know if that is true. I guess if you use SSDs, then it really won't be an issue either way.

5. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

cool concept, and good models.

Whirch program did you use to make the cad model?

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Well that can't be bad!!! will be shure to watch this one.

Nice to se someone else using Catia aswell. I love that program, modeling is easy but the rendering part of the program is very hard.. I think there should be some kind of render plugin or ad on prog to improve the renders. You know of any?

Interesting design you got there. I can imagine those double curved surfaces might be tricky even with fibreglass, but I have no doubt that you will make it. As for the noice reduction foam...if you decide to use it, I think you should hide it behind some panels. And since the design will result in some "unused" space in each corner you might wanna put some noice reduction there aswell. Don't know if it will make any huge difference though.

..i got my eyes on you.

7. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

ditto

8. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Looks great! Can't wait to see more.

9. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

Hello, I don't know any plug-in or something. But I will ask someone from my work if he knows an easier way to render.

Also I am busy converting the 3d models into work drawings so I can make the things.

see you next time, Julian

Last edited: 9 Oct 2009
  10. mentvlo

mentvlo Mentvlo

The drawings look awesome so far, good luck with making it:)

11. Valdisnei

Valdisnei Can i haz a dremelz!?

The same as Matticus said, isn't that HDDs position (~45degrees) bad for them?

btw, nice project and great 3D design!!

12. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

Hello, the hdd rack is 20' and I never heart something about it. Some people place theme vertical but I will find that out.
    Thanks for the concerns ,Julian

Last edited: 9 Oct 2009
  13. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't change the declination later on.

14. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

Hello again,
    Here is a small update off my project. I am busy making the 2d drawings of the 3d models and I have some pictures of the drawings to show.

Some pictures are missing measurements but that is because I made a .DXF file of it. A .DXF file is a 2d drawing of a vieuw I selected and a program calt edgecam can read. With edgecam I can make a cnc program for the cnc machine so in the end I don´t need to draw the thing again in edgecam.

These drawings with missing measurements are just drawings with useful information like radius and the outer diameter, the rest is as a drawing in the .DXF file.

Here are 2 photo´s of the drawings I have bin talking about:
    These are the outer frame ribs:
    [​IMG]
    Top left corner, top right corner, down corner the 2 in the left I have also as a .DXF file.
    [​IMG]

I will be making some of these things and I will be making the rest of the 2d drawings but that will be shown the next time, Julian

Last edited: 10 Oct 2009
  15. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

Hello, here is a update of things I am doing. :dremel:

I am started with making the components. First I am making the non cnc parts because the cnc mill is making other things.

Here you can see were I get my material (this is only a small part of al the things we have).
    This are the rod shape shelves. rvs, alu, brass, copper, pom:
    [​IMG]

This is a place were the plates are stashed. alu, copper, wood, brass, rvs (0.3mm to +-60mm alu plates):
    [​IMG]

Thing I have cut of so far:
    2mm thick plates of alu ST51
    20mm thick plate of alu C250 ACP
    6meter of alu bar 10x10mm 51ST
    50cm bar of alu round 12mm 51ST
    [​IMG]

How I cutted it of? This way :D :
    Band saw:
    [​IMG]

Plate cutter:
    [​IMG]

Table saw:
    [​IMG]

I first milled the square bars 4/5 at a time to the correct length than I turned some of the bars on a lath in a 4 point chuck jaw so I could make a small round end 5x1mm. Pictures are in the correct order:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made some spacer rings:
    Here are shots of the making:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it, I will go back working on the project.:dremel::hip:

Julian:thumb:

16. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

Hello, I have asked WD about the hard disk mounting problem and they said the following:

I dont know what I will do I am thinking of changing the mounting position. And I thought I will share it with you guys.
    Julian

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Good Lord! Where have you been hiding all that great stuff!
    Your machine work had me thinking I could try to walk to your shop for a minute.:hehe: Yes, I was going to try to walk across the Atlantic.
    I love the knobs on the end of the square rod, BTW.

18. Attila

Attila still thinking....

That's strange, most of the information I got when planning the HD mounting for CX1
    suggested that mounting in any orientation was OK. In fact many commercial storage
    units have the drives mounted on their sides and heaps of portable HD's are also
    mounted to stand on their sides. I really wouldn't be too concerned considering the
    slight angle your planning.
    I could go crazy in your shop, like a kid in a candy store :hehe: Racks and racks of lovely
    stuff, and all that machinery. The renders look great, I'm very interested to see how
    you get those complex curves. :thumb:

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm guessing he has a massive press he hasn't shown us yet.

20. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Nice work and love the machine shop. Used to sell cutting tools to places like this.

On the HD feel free to mount it wherever and however it pleases you. Obviously gravity does play a part here, but the effect is probably only shown in a math simulation. Besides, WD offers a 5 year guarantee... :naughty: