1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IBM details 5.2GHz processor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 26 Aug 2010.

1. julieb

julieb What's a Dremel?

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I want one >.>

They look so nice!

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

And it actually won't play Crysis *at all* ;)

4. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Fixed! :thumb:

5. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

My big bro works for IBM and probably gets to at least see this kinda stuff in-the-flesh all the time, if not actually use it. I sooo hate him right now....

6. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

Not x86/x64 compatible. Probably be a bitch to write software for it.

7. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

well if you can get a windows emulator running on it.. it could probably run Crysis in "software" although I guess its been a long time since a game has had that option :rolleyes:

8. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

POWER 7 is actually pretty nice from the looks of it. They finally changed to an out-of-order execution system, giving a very nice performance boost over POWER 6. They also went with an obscene amount of L3 cache thanks to the use of eDRAM instead of the much larger (physical space-wise) than the SRAM used by Intel and others.

POWER is also a pretty nice architecture to write software for, especially in comparison with x86/x64. It does have a lot features which would be kind of overkill or useless for a desktop system, though :)

Also, there are cheaper versions of the POWER 7 available, where cheap means 'only a few multiples of $1,000' :p

9. Astatine

Astatine What's a Dremel?

Err, correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK this isn't POWER 7. Or indeed POWER at all. It's the Z-Machine, a completely different architecture specifically made for these mainframes. IBM really are mad enough to maintain *two* of their own chip architectures and build small-run, high-cost chips for both...

Although it shares stuff with the current POWER chips, like the eDRAM cache.

10. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Wonder if it overclocks ;)

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You really don't.

Z-Series machines are massive, heavy, power hungry and I'd be impressed if you managed to get through an IPL, let alone do anything on one :D

12. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I think I'm well connected......

13. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Someone needs to 'somehow' get one of these clock it like mad and do some benchies!
    Few years at the top?

14. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

I actually get to play... Wait, I work with one. Believe me, I love my phenom 1055 @ 4.2 twenty times what I aprecciate this machine.

Aaand besides, it's far from AMD 7.x record...

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I think it needs to be pointed out that THIS is just about as exciting as it gets on these machines.

Despite what IBM would have you believe with the shiny enclosures - Z/Series is not, and never will be sexy :lol:

16. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Yeah, you're right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_z196_(microprocessor)

I honestly didn't know they actually had a second architecture on active duty :eeek:

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, but they're pretty! Just because I'd never be able to turn it on, lift it, move it, or use it is irrelevant >.>

18. Jerz

Jerz What's a Dremel?

When you buy one of these mainframes, do they come with the SDK and support to program on it?

19. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

I've been working with IBM mainframe for a well known bank for the last 3 months, Z-OS is nasty to use.... but it could churn through data like nobody's business! however glad the project is finished!

20. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

Wow, these machines are beasts! And the redundancy built into the z/Enterprise series is jaw-dropping: Each operation is computed simultaneously by two separate cores, then the results are cross-checked. If they don't match, it tries again, and if it still doesn't work, it automatically sends out a service call so that the IBM guy can come over and hot-swap(!) the processor module without interrupting operations... Even the RAM has a parity table, so the machine can survive the failure of a chip or even an entire memory channel! Of course, the power, cooling and I/O are fully redundant as well. You've gotta love that kind of engineering! (wiki)
    I'd think so, seeing what these things cost.. You can probably get them delivered with software specially tailored for your computational needs, for that matter.
    No, no, no! Just look; you can get ASCII art! :lol:
    [​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags