1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics DIY Backlighting Problem

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Big British Guy, 13 May 2012.

1. Big British Guy

Big British Guy What's a Dremel?

Hello!

I have red LED's in my rig at the moment, and was wondering if there was anyway i could make my own... "Backlighting" for my ASUS Designo ML249 Monitor!

I was thinking of just attaching a red LED Flexible strip to the back of my monitor with Velcro so it can be removed. but i have no idea how to power it? The ones in my rig are all wired up to the inside of my computer and i have no idea how that works?

Is there anyway i could "steal" a bit of power from my monitors power source through a splitter or something like that? it would be great if i could do this but i dont know where to start!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

LEDs: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/xebec-led-strip-red-xb501550r-for-cases-and-modding

2. B.o.B

B.o.B What's a Dremel?

I'm sure there's prob an easy way to set it up. LEDs dont take much power so you should be able to just run a USB connection to your computer or monitor if it has USB ports. check out Antecs website, they do a backlit LED strip powered off USB but its straight white lighting.

3. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

4. Big British Guy

Big British Guy What's a Dremel?

If only they did it in red. I have a running them going on, white would kill it! :naughty:

5. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

As others have said, you could use USB, which is dead simple (don't go over 500mA - the light strip you've picked is fine). If you need more power, there are ways of getting power from your PC out, like this

Once you've mastered a basic backlight, why not try expert mode: