1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Two way fan splitter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Jan 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Right now I am running an Alienware Area 51 2014. Basically it came bone stock with a 5820k under some sort of AIO (looks like a Asetek unbranded H55 with short hoses) and a GTX 960 stock card.

[​IMG]

I had a pair of Titan Black at the time and was running the standard Alienware 800w PSU and it soon developed bad coil whine (from the PSU). Tom Logan over at OC3D very kindly gave me a Corsair AX1200 with a set of blue cables and I replaced the PSU and also replaced the GPUs with a single Fury X for 4k.

[​IMG]

I've been pretty happy with it, though Fallout 4 performance has been like a lady of the night's knickers. One minute it performs OK @ 4k, next minute they patch it again and performance tanks. So I decided I was going to save up and buy a second Fury X, taking a slight gamble on support given the FuryX2 is soon to be bestowed upon us.

The Alienware comes with two intake fans. One is at the bottom on a large plastic tub sort of thing and the other goes on a "snap in" plastic bracket. At first I mounted the first Fury X onto the bottom tub thing and then soon after replaced all of the fans with Powercool Glacier pro with silicon sleeves.

OK so onto my question. The Alienware has 4? IIRC fan headers on it. If you fail to use one of them the rig will not boot, telling you there is a fan failure. So it's important that I keep using them. Now, when I add in the second Fury X onto an adapter plate I made I am going to be one 3 pin short. I've considered getting a molex/3 pin or just making one but that would mean I would then need an entire Molex run plugged into the PSU. Due to the way the rig is (no cable management at all but I have done my best) I would rather not do that.

So, I have bought one of these.

[​IMG]

And just wanted to check that these things are safe before going ahead and fitting the second GPU? This could be a really stupid question because I have a distinct feeling that I am already using one on the CPU cooler, what with it having non stock push/pull fans.

I just wanted the nod from some one with more experience in electronics than myself.

TIA !

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Absolutely fine

Just make sure you have the right one for your fans - PWM fans may require a 4 pin splitter.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Thanks dude. That seems to be the general consensus looking around, that it's safe to use two but not three.

Sweet, that means I can sort of keep it tidy in there now that it's going to be much busier.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

That looks good. Make sure you don't get one with a transistor, they can be easily confused and will generally reduce the voltage.