1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Proprietary hardware repair.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbungle, 5 Jul 2016.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I have a situation with a piece of equipment that has an embedded system board which runs windows XP.

This boots then runs the specific software for all the bits of the equipment for use.

This little embedded board has snuffed it, in that it refuses to boot rendering the rather important bit of kit useless. All powers on but no post on the machines LCD which can usually be seen to post to bios, then Xp then the embedded software.

The replacement board has been quoted at a eye watering price.

Had a gander at the board and sadly it does not look like it is off the shelf industrial fodder.

In the back of my mind there is not a lot to lose in having an attempt to repair this, it could be as simple as a reflow to get it back to life.

Has anyone any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Are any of the electrolytic caps bulging/leaking?
    Check if its ROHS compliant (some of industrial equipment is exempt, also might not be if older than ~2003). If its not, then it being a bad solder joint / tin whisker growth is very unlikely and reflow prob wont help.
    It might also be some other malfunction - corrupt BIOS, some of ICs fauling due to old age, etc.
    You could also try cooling the chips down (squirting liquid on them from upturned duster can). If that helps - reflow those chips.

If you do end up trying reflowing - find a local repair shop that can do a reballing and ask then to use leaded solder. Any other way (heatgun, oven) is only a temporary fix, if they work at all.

3. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

I would suggest checking out the power supply and like Xlog said check the capacitors.

If you could upload proper high res photos we might be able to spot something.

4. mrbungle

Hello

Sorry for not updating this.

After stripping everything down there was indeed a standardised board in the mix, a "Com Express Type 2" core duo affair.

PSU and caps etc all look fine, powers up just no post.

Problem is they are still ££ and we don't know if it is that or the hardware that it routes through that is faulty. If we had more time I could send it away to be checked but we don't so will prob be going the pants down and over a barrel route for repair.

5. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Good luck with it. Would still love to see some photos.

It looks like the Com Express Type 2 is a form factor not a board?

6. mrbungle

That is correct.

The problem is that board then interfaces with the internal boards of the equipment, no way of finding out which is the culprit.

If I get it in bits again can update with pics.