1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair shows why budget PSUs aren't so great

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i thought this was about to say that corsair psu's are all going to explode lol.. my vx550 was ready to be switched off

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If only this video could be imprinted onto the mind of everyone who thinks about buying a budget, no-name PSU.

It's just a good job that most systems don't come close to using what their PSU's are rated to, really.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the heatsink is right behind one of the fan! surely that would mean it gets enough airflow.

Corsair Hx620w is teh Cheesecake factory :)

5. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

If only this video was out a couple of weeks ago! I could have showed it to my dad before he went out and bought a 500W PSU for £25, without consulting ME first, how rude!.

6. Hg

Hg The game known as life

this is why you should alwasy buy a good quailty PSU!
    its scary how many people don't do so after spending a load on new hardware while building a new pc, i dont feel sorry for them if there PSU's blow up as they were to narrow minding while buying a Q-tec etc

7. icyo

icyo What's a Dremel?

check the video to see some MOSFET* popping action.

:)

8. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The internals of those power supplies look identical to two generics that died on me over 3 years ago. I would guess that most of the no-name power supplies are OEMed by only one or two companies and just branded with an arbitrary rating - often the 500W rated models have identical insides to the 300W ones.

That said, not all "quality" PSUs are fantastic. Some older Antecs used cheap capacitors which went pop if they were loaded heavily over a year or two. Their newer units, though, OEMed by Seasonic/CWT (as are Corsair's, IIRC) and are much better quality.

9. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

Anyone notice the coolermaster box in the video?

10. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

I'm loving the picture caption.

11. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

well, they are drawing over 300W from atx power connector in test 3, so I don't think that test is very accurate

Last edited: 17 Jul 2008
  12. RTT

RTT #parp

What's a "MOSPHET" ? :lol: :lol:

13. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

My friend came to me for advice about buying a PSU recently for a xfire setup. I impressed on him the importance of buying a branded power supply with some extra capacity beyond what he thought he would need but then he goes and buys a 700W PSU for £30 off ebuyer. Why should I even bother?

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That was an awesome video. I liked the music :p

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Fixed, I'm too used to writing phosphor, sulphur, etc

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

The majority of the super cheap and blowing up psu's are made by allied (known under many different brandnames and very popular among the big system integrators for record low prices).
    Usually they dont blow up just because people think they need a 700W psu for a E4500 2GB ram single hdd and integrated graphics so most people who buy prebuilt pc's never even notice the psu they have is overrated by 400W because there computer wont even use 200W, but if you take a device that can actually draw as much power from a psu as is written on the label then a firework is almost guaranteed.

on top of that, psu's changed in design over the last few years, the majority of the power used to be on the 3,3V and 5V rails, there are still such psu's out there sadly even though those rails are almost worthless these days and the "action" is on the 12V rail(s).

not sure, but it looks too big to me for a psu box, more like the box of a case size, but then I'm going by memory of what I've seen in the video yesterday and cant watch it now thx to work pc blocking it.

17. Risky

Risky Modder

Well I've only had two PSUs blow. One was a mATX unit and the other was a rather pricy Enermax, though it was many years ago.

18. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

wow :eeek:

great music with that vid :lol:

I would have prefered a more scientific test, with various manufacturers, loads and price points. but it was pretty nonetheless in a destructive kind of way, the best kind ;)

19. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

ive had 2 noname psu's on my old pc... first one ran for 4-5 years. as the fan had started to make noise out of old age, i replaced it with some "fancy" led one that broke down in a few days, burning out the psu (no bang though). the second one is still running... although their only like 350w

upgraded to a laptop myself but the parents still use that rig...

20. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

But.... It's an acronym... and neither phosphor, nor sulphur are in the full title...

Eh?

Tags: Add Tags