1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Reserator XT - De-gunking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B1GBUD, 1 Mar 2011.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I've just acquired one of these and noticed it has a bit of build up from the Zalman blue anti-corrosion stuff that gets added with the deionized water.

I wanted to know if there is a suitable solution that I could use to de-gunk/flush it out before I replenish it.

Any thoughts?

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Loads of hot water and a toothbrush for the bits you can get to. I have a Reserator 1 V2 and it took a while to get rid of the crap. After it had been running for a week or so I flushed it out again.

EDIT: There's a guide here but I wouldn't use vinegar at all. The slightest pinprick in the anodising and vinegar will make it worse (been there, done that). Fortunately I was able to get a brand new base for mine for £11 but parts might be more expensive for your version.

I used a 20% mix of antifreeze for car rads in mine and had no further gunking.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2011
    B1GBUD likes this.
  3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Thanks Big Elf, I think this maybe the post you were referring to:

http://www.quietpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2478

I might just see how well it comes out after a few rinses with hot water. If it doesn't work, I'll try the vinegar. I remember the Reserator 1's being a tall cylindrical tower which made cleaning much easier. I've had a Reserator 2 cooling my overclocked e6600 + stock 8800 GTX for atleast 3 years now, which has been pretty much fit and forget. I could always link both up together and flush them at the same time.

Thanks for the advice.