1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something broke...

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by AlienwareAndy, 2 Apr 2014.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I went to log on this morning and either my account had been hacked or the downtime last night caused an issue. Any way, it's taken me over an hour to log in and I had to change my password as my original one did not work any more.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Read the other thread on "welcome back bit-tech!". Looks like everyone needed to change their passwords. I couldn't log on last night either.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I read that yeah. However that thread was more of an introduction so I figured it a good idea to start another one so it doesn't just get bogged down with complaints...

4. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

I couldn't log in last night either, but I can now no password change required

5. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Yeah looks like it is slowly coming back. Tapatalk is sort of working (slow).

No password change needed

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I couldn't get logged in last night, changed my password and still couldn't log in until this morning. Now the forum is a slow as a week in the jail. Not a great start to the new era, but hopefully things will improve.

I have to say, though, that it would have been a good idea to have put something on the main site front page announcing the changes and letting people know that you were aware of the forum issues and were working on a fix. It would also be good for something "official" as it were introducing the new owners and explaining what's going on. As it is, our introduction to the "new" Bit-tech has been somewhat underwhelming - I appreciate that things are probably pretty hectic just now and there's a lot to sort out, but you need to communicate with your members better.

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Mate, they are clearly doing some sort of server migration.

The trick is not to panic and smash them all the time.

My password still works. I've logged in this morning just fine. Sometimes there is a badgateway error message from nginx... it's not a big deal. There was a message that they were making changes for quite sometime. Not all changes go smoothly.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Even a few tweets about it would have been useful. I managed to piece it together over the course of half an hour or so of sleuthing when I couldn't log on last night, but somethign concrete woudl have put my mind at rest.

It didn't help my confidence that my eBay account was hacked yesterday evening either!

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

From the other thread

Edit: when you flip the switch and go live you obviously think you've done it. I can't imagine that the issues post the original "we'll be back soon" message were preplanned.

10. jon4tron

jon4tron Administrator Administrator

Hi, I'm one of the bit-tech techie guys.

I would like to apologise for the confusion and downtime. The server migration did not go smoothly or to plan, and is still not 100% complete. We were focusing on getting things working first, because we can't easily let you know what's going on if the forums and main site aren't working.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

When does it ever go smoothly? :p Thanks for letting us know.

12. jon4tron

jon4tron Administrator Administrator

In theory?

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

The planning went, as ever, incredibly smoothly. :lol:

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

smooth migration requires very careful planning, making sure live sites are kept alive whilst testing in the background on new servers, only making it live when you know its working as it should. I do understand that dns redirection can take time.

15. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Piss poor way to introduce yourself to a new audience IMO. Poor show indeed. Locked out for 24hrs.

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the main page is still broken (well the crm that makes it is) so they have been unable to put anything new on there at the moment.

although to be fair, they should have put something on there before the migration began.

17. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Agreed. The first sign for many user's knew there was a change was that they were locked out of the forum. An official announcment should have been made a day before the change took place so we could all be prepared and digest the news that Hexus were taking over.

For me that shows a complete lack of respect to the community. Time will tell on how Hexus manage this forum, but them taking over lead to RTT removing his Moderator role and they took away his posting rights.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I was livid yesterday when I was sent an email that somebody with a different IP address was trying to log in to my account. Nice to be back though... finally.

19. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Come on now chaps all calm down.

If you read the other thread - there is no merging with Hexus, there is no naughtyness at play.

I personally think this is going to be a great thing for the community that we all enjoy. So I think we should all sit back and enjoy the ride :) and thank the people who are making this happen rather than getting cross as you couldn't come online over night. Sure it was annoying, but here we are all again back posting, and it's costs us nothing. So I have nothing but gratitude at the moment :)

i've whitelisted BT now as the adds really aren't that bad.

20. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

I'm not doubting (for now) that the takeover could be a good thing, I only hoped to point out that the way it was handled could have been better handled. A simple warning 24 hrs before would have been all that it took.