1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress HDD-Case(s): rusty, weathered and old! FINAL PICTURES! 26.04.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by maRiio, 12 Apr 2013.

1. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

Hi all!

I just want to present you one/two of my hard drive cases I did recently.
    Since I'm doing a lot of photography and post-processing my data was growing unexpectingly fast so a few hard disks and cases had to be ordered.
    The case(s) did look a little to normal for my taste so I decided to get them a little bit of modding :thumb:

Unfortunately I did not make that much pics during the working on the case so I only have a few to present you.
    The base case is a Raid-Sonic IcyBox, with a airbrush-finish to get a weathered effect all over it.

I did an outer shell of aluminum for the case to get a little bit more depth and additional effects when doing the rusty painting and breaking some parts of the material off. This is what the base case after the main work was done, did look like.
    [​IMG]

For this case I bought my first airbrush gun and tried a little bit to do some effects on some sheets of metal. After that I did the best I could on the case itself and was quite satisfied how it did end up :)
    After the first paint-job the case looked like this :)
    [​IMG]

And having the inside finished and the disk in place I did the final steps to get the effect I wanted to achieve :) The rust was created by a special mixture of paint which contains iron-particles which rusts when painted with another special liquid which accellerates the oxiding process - it's just like magic :D

When the paint was ready I removed the front cover too since it didn't find right onto the case imho.
    [​IMG]

Right now I'm onto my second case... pictures will follow ;)
    EDIT: the case is finished, see the following posts of me...
    Here's the result...
    [​IMG]

Cheers from Austria (not Australia!),
    Mario

Last edited: 26 Apr 2013
  2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

That's some sweet detail on there. Good work.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Very nicely done, and some great detail. A little bit sad, that there's no WIP-pictures tho.

4. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

I like :D just needs a pc case to match :thumbup:

5. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

@jrs77: yeah :/ I'm quite sad about that too but I'm working on a much cooler case right now which is logged :D :D :D
    Maybe I will upload the pics today if there's the time to do so.

Thanks to you, Shirty and aramil! :)

6. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

WOW outstanding job :jawdrop:

7. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

Here's the base of the second case... "base" :hehe:
    It's nearly finished, just some paint is left to be sprayed on... and of course the weathering effects that should go with the cases finish :)

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Mario

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Those look cool. I like that you added a second layer. They should have superior ventilation to the stock setup now too.:lol:

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Love it!

HDD, painted orange like a flight box recorder?

10. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

Haha that was actually my intention :hehe: but I'm not quite sure if that looks the way I wanted it to. First of all the box will be painted ready on the out- and inside and after finishing that I will decide the color to go with :)

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Vinyl skin the HDD, that way it's not bricked for warranty..

12. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

That's also a great idea but I will do a cover for it which can be mounted directly onto the HDD.

BTW: some airbrushing was done by today :)

[​IMG]

I will do a second and a third layer just like that on it tomorrow...

Cheers,
    Mario

13. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

Let me present you the second one of my HDD-cases. I just finished it a few minutes ago and set it up for a quick shoot :D btw: I will re-use a few of my previous posted pictures to give you a better feel about the process I went through to get to the look it has right now :)

Unfortunately I did very few pictures during the build of the case. But the one I did I will show you on the following lines...
    First of all this was the first layer of polyethylen (the white material :D) I did for the start to see how it's gonna look like. The design of the case wasn't planned at all and most of my decisions were totally spontaneous.
    (please don't get distracted by the Crysis3-logo. It was planned to be a casemod for Crytek/Crysis but it ended not the way I wanted it to end :worried:)
    [​IMG]

After the base of the front was finished I started to cut all the needed pieces for the rest of the case. Equipped with a heat-gun I started bending all the parts to their final shape. To give it at least a little bit of destructed feel it was time to turn on the dremel (erm... I mean by using the switch on it :hehe:)
    Like mentioned earlier I don't own any more pics of that :(
    The next thing on the list was soldering a led for the hard-drive activity light. Said - Done!

[​IMG]

When finished I started airbrushing the base of the case itself (unfortunately you can't see anything of anymore :p). But it was a relaxing and fun task.
    [​IMG]

And then, yesterday I finsihed the paint for the case. I had two colors in mind, blue and orange. After seeing the case in it's final form I'm more than glad choosing orange over blue since the feel of an old machinery was totally hit (imho).
    Then I had to do the painting of the rust. I did the rust on the coners and edges I thought it would appear if some case like this was left out in the rain for many months :hehe:
    After waiting for a day the rust was completey dryed and finished and I startet airbrushing the case to give it a more used look. Additional to the airbrush I used acrylic paint in different colors which I squeezed on the case and wiped it with my fingers :D

A minor thing was to switch the housing for the activity led. By the way, only one of them (the blue cable one) is showing the harddisk acitiviy, the other one is just for looking purposes ;)

And here's the final end result (of the paint). What's left is the case of the HDD itself and a big smiley face (thanks Jeremy :D) on the other side.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Apr 2013
    Arboreal likes this.
  14. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Wow! Amazing airbrush.

You should really make pc mod in same fashion.

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Utterly stunning MaRiio!! the detail is just brilliant.

PS... how did VeranoX end up? I loved where that was going :(

16. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Agreed, a pc mod in the same fashion is a MUST!

Very nice attention to detail.

17. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

Thanks both of you guys, appreciate your kind words.
    Maybe I'm planning to do so since I don't own any more hard disk to make a case for :D

18. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Get to it! :clap:

19. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

Ah Editor, I didn't see your post before :D
    Sry to (maybe haha) disappoint you, but VeranoX wasn't going well since the base construction I did for it was a mess :( I didn't redo it in any way and switched to a TJ07-casemod :)

20. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

No worries I'm like a post Ninja :worried:

Thats a real shame about VeranoX though :( still at least you knew when to quit ;)