1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows win 7 or 8?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darkwisdom, 5 Nov 2012.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Im getting new parts for xmas including a samsung 830 and a copy of my os of choice but i havent a clue whether to get windows 7 or 8. I have always used xp and I only game. No huge multi threaded tasks here. Skyrim, dark souls and sims 3 for the mrs. Is there any difference in performance? If not then ill get windows 8.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I have both, Tbh I would go for win7 for compatibility with games

3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I dont think theres any issues with games i play.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Windows 8 is leaner, faster and (at the moment) considerably cheaper, and if you don't like the Start Screen you can retrofit it with a good ol' fashioned Start Menu using one of several neat plug-ins available.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Ok get 8 then it's cheaper than 7 win8 has got a few annoying quirks but it's ok certainly nothing to write home about.

I know people say it boots faster but I've not found that myself on one of my win7 rigs boots from cold to google in 22seconds my win 8 doesn't.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2012
  6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Windows 8 won't have trouble with games compatibility compared to Windows 7. Personally, I've been using Windows 8 since Saturday and I can't fault it. Even the new interface, whilst it took some time to get used to it (best way I found it to figure that it replaces the Start Menu, and my brain instantly got it!), is actually pretty handy and I find myself using it more and more as I find apps that I like and install them and configure the look.

Personally, I'm sticking with Windows 8. It even loads faster from cold boots and restarts, and I like the added function of the PC synching to the cloud with your settings (effectively, you could log in on any person's Win8 machine and it would download your settings and customisations to the machine. Nice touch!).

I find Win8 to be faster, leaner, and generally better to use, once you get your head around the new UI (but that's the same for any new OS, I find). I think people just like to bitch and moan about progress, personally. Despite what people say, the OS isn't just for tablets. It does work well with mouse and keyboard setups.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

I own both and id still choose 7 over 8 for simple compatibility with older applications you say your comming from xp would indicate you may have older titles that you play.

Virtually every old game that works in xp will require some sort of patch for windows 7 or 8. Homeworld series for example.

As for the UI to each there own download Start1.01 if you dont want the UI it disables it.

8. Phalanx

If I had XP programs still to use, I would just virtualise XP and keep that with the licence there, gaining the benefit of a modern OS but keeping the ability to use older programs without the need to dual-boot.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you're starting from scratch I'd probably say W8, not only because it's cheaper, but since you'll be using a new OS anyways, the change in style etc won't be much worse going to W8 than W7.

I haven't made the switch yet since I see no reason to, but I may on my next reinstall.

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Ive had absolutely no compatibility issues on win 8 with any of my games, as its basically the same as win7 in desktop mode anyway, and XP programs can be run in compatibilty mode which sometimes works.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You are coming from XP. Please note that the learning curve to Windows 8 will be HUGE. Like no joke. It will be HUGE. Vista had a small one, Windows 7 had a bigger one over Win7, and WIn8 has a large cliff over Win7. So from XP to Win8. Ouch!

I would strongly recommend to start reading Windows 8 help documentation carefully as you get started.

Everywhere from what I can see, is that everyone that actually USED Win8 as their main OS, likes it.
    Those who just look at pictures, like most reviewer as its a race to release their review the fastest as possible, did not.

If you are used to XP "new" Start Menu, than what I suggest is to change the layout of the start screen. This is mine on my laptop (so games are put aside)
    [​IMG]

Notice how I pin my most used folders/programs at the right bottom side. As this is where you show the start screen, so I can access them quickly. Also remember that you can pin programs on your task bar as well for fast access.

Also, if you ever need anything, you can always search instantly on the start screen for settings, files, or app that you have installed. Simply type what you want in the start screen, just like that.. out of the bloom, and it will start searching.

Also start learning keyboard shortcuts. you have the ones form Vista, Win7 and new ones from Win8 to learn.

I expect that you'll need 4-5 months to get used to it. If you don't like fast change. I would strongly suggest to try and find Windows Vista, use that for a year or two, then switch to Win7, and use that for a year or two, then Win8 and use that for a year, then Win9 (as it will be already out, and Win10 would be near completion), and so on, until you slowly catch up.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Windows 1.0 cheesecake:

[​IMG]

Funny how things come around isn't it?

13. Deders

Deders Modder

Note: Would only work for programs that don't need directX

14. Phalanx

15. ggicollegeindia

ggicollegeindia What's a Dremel?

Windows 8 have some advanced features which may not adjust with a normal user easily but it is far more better to use insted of its previous version.

16. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Heh, I've been thinking its similar to 3.1 in a lot of ways. Same idea basically.

I just bought a copy of 7 for my new HTPC anyways. Nothing about 8 attracts me in the slightest.

17. m3rk

m3rk What's a Dremel?

i'm currently still using Windows 7 Ultimate - I will be buying Windows 8 though (rude not to for £24.99 on there website)...Not aure i am going to like the main screen interface but have heard you can change this to look like a classic menu via a plugin

18. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you use it seriously, and of course organize and pin what you need, like so (this is on my laptop, so no games at the moment of taking the picture):
    [​IMG]
    Than you'll see it's will be enjoyable to use.

Give it a month, and you'll see. Also have a look at the new keyboard short cuts of Windows 8.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/new-keyboard-shortcuts#1TC=t1

Also remember that like before, you can type anywhere on the start screen and it search through your apps.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Just remember: every time you boot up Windows 8, somewhere in the world a kitten dies. Apparently. :p

20. Deders

Deders Modder

it happens at my house