1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Critical Hit: Payne Killers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 9 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Hits the nail right on the head.

The gritty, gloomy, lonely feeling was exactly what made the original games so awesome for me, and why they still remain some of my favourite games ever.

3. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

Agreed, I am a big fan of the first two games, i am looking forward to this one but don't know if the sudden change of look and scene from the others will be a payne to deal with (i know, poor joke).

Im still going to buy it near release and i hope its like Crysis 2, better than i thought.

4. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

5. alf-

alf- Minimodder

"and you might rightly point out that it’s a little silly to voice such an opinion before playing the final version of the game"

should of stopped there, it is silly if not outright stupid, to form a opinion of a game before you have even played it.

6. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

There hasn't even been a trailer to set the atmosphere. It's ridiculous to judge his character off a couple of screenshots.

7. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I guess if you want noir, Rockstar wants you to buy L.A. Noire.

8. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Are we Judging a book by it's cover?
    Although I have to agree just of character appearance I am appointed, looks a cross of John Mclane and the fat one from Kane and Lynch.

I always loved the dark gothicness of the game and the flapping leather coat in bullet time, I can't help but feel we're going to get GTA inspired game

But, until I play it I have hope

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I wonder if it's going to have the old theme.

Dududum dum dum dum dum dudum dum

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

while we have only seen a few screenshots, it does look good. the characters appearance dosn't really bother me that much, even if they did make him look like jeff bridges in iron man. he is 12 years older than in the last game after all so i guess that would put him in his mid 40's. san paolo may seem like an odd choice, but it is just a gritty city as new york when you get down to it despite its sunnier location. they did however manage to use the same actor to voice max as in the previous games unless that has changed. also it is still slated to be released on pc, which i really hope doesn't change. its on the rage engine with a combination of the euphoria engine so the core of the game should be pretty solid. for now i'll give it the benefit of the doubt that it could be a really good game and remain optimistic.

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

The man has a point.

12. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

If everything that you say is true, then i still have hope.

I don't think I've played a game that was so character driven by such a hurt and broken protagonist. Let's face it, there was a reason it was called Max Payne; it was about him and his revenge. If they've broken the character, they broken the franchise for me.

13. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

+1... It's like the new Dante of Devil May Cry... WTH!! We play the games because of the characters, and they are messing them up

I just hope that Duke Nukem stays true to himself...

14. cdyson37

cdyson37 What's a Dremel?

Max Payne 2 is one of the few games I must have played through about 10 times - an under-appreciated masterpiece. I think playing MP3 would just spoil it for me...

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

another game ruined for the console generation.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Don't be stupid Minimal. Consoles have nothing to do with it.

I'm reserving judgement for now, but it'll have to be pretty special to make up the loss of what seemed like a perfect combo of character and setting.

17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Looking at the new greasy, overweight Max, I wonder how he's going to pull off all the diving about that was a big part of the first 2 games. He looks like he'd suffer a stroke part way throught the game.

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The dreaded character refresh strikes again by the looks of things. I'm still angry about what has been done to James Bond...

19. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The second Max Payne was so relentlessly poor compared to the first that they could have made the third game a Mariokart themed text adventure and I wouldn't give a crap. The first game was an all time classic, it was without a doubt one of the greatest stories ever gamed, perfect in pitch, tone, narrative and structure, not to mention, y'know, actually being a brilliant game too. But the sequel was mindless crap and as far as I am concerned it 's done.

20. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

It'd be a rubbish world if everyone liked the same things, but there's an awful lot of just plain wrong up there ^^. In my humble yet top notch opinion.

I enjoyed most of the original, adored the sequel and am concerned about the 3rd. Though I think giving Rockstar the benefit of the doubt is probably fair, given their track record.

Tags: Add Tags