1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding a laptop GPU plus general questions

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Alsomething, 16 May 2009.

1. Alsomething

Alsomething What's a Dremel?

Hi

One month ago I got a new MSI GT725 Laptop. It's duel core with a ATI 4850, 4GB of Ram Vista 32 bit.

Within the first few hours I had it folding on one core with just the system tray, so only using one core. Which is what I wanted. Now am happy there seems no problems with the laptop I want start pushing it to get as many points as possible :D

Now my question is which way do I go about it. Get the console version and run both CPUs or is it possible to fold on the GPU and get more done with that? Another thing to take into account is that it a mobile GPU so a bit different to the desktop version so can I fold on it full stop? I can't find any answer to this on the standford site.

One last question can you fold with GPU and on one CPU core at the same time? I know it's not possible with a single core as it's still needed.

All help appreciated.

Take care

Alex

2. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Make sure you take the battery out as the heat can kill it in no time!
    Make sure the laptop is well ventillated.

3. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Yes. Get the GPU running first. Then, with drivers 181.2 or above you can run a CPU client on each core, so you could run two. When configuring set the CPU at 'lowest possible' or 'idle' and GPU at 'slightly higher'. For higher overall PPD try the SMP client in place of the CPU clients.

4. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

gpu needs ATI drivers not Nvidia's but yer it should work fine just make sure you monitor the temps and remove the battery and run of the mains.

5. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

I have a desktop PC with an ATI 4850 in it. It is getting 2612 ppd at the moment. It is more
    consistant than my 8800GT cards, whose point vary wildly. At the moment they are doing 502 ppd
    3880 ppd and 4236 ppd.