1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News THQ could be split up and sold off, judge rules

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Jan 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Oh dear, chances of CoH2 and SP:SoT actually getting released then?

Definitely a shame, as THQ have provided some excellent games over the years, what was the cause of their huge losses?

3. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

uDraw, among other things. Basically they've been burning obnoxious amounts of cash trying to tap the holy grail of casual gaming, and things backfired quite seriously.

4. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

100% certain, its pretty much done and is being QC'ed at this time, I'd say theres nothing that could stop it releasing. Any purchaser if they did buy the franchise or dev house at this late stage would want to release the "completed" games anyway, and would likely be legally obligated to take on liabilities (pre-orders).

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I get the feeling THQ is going to get broken up.

I just hope the Warhammer 40,000 rights don't end up with the likes of EA, those ****monkeys would ruin it :/ Same goes for Saints Row, for that matter.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well, Saints Row 3 already had less features than SR2 and more DLC than a sims game has expansions anyway* :|

*Did not actually count

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

i hope valve buys all the properties... i can only hope.. but then we might have to wait 12yrs in between titles :-( there is no hope

8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Wow, I'd never even heard of this. 1.4 million unsold units, geez, what a disaster!

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I could have told them that would flop for an awful lot less than the $100m they lost..

10. rollo

rollo Modder

THQ is not the first failed publisher and will not be the last. EA will likely try and buy the popular titles COH Saints row, Warhammer. The rest would likely not be brought by them. As in truth the last major publisher them going to EA would at least see them have some future.

As for pre orders there is no legal right as you have only paid a small deposit in most cases. Those sites that take full cash would likely refund the money, if you paid by credit card ( as you always should in online shopping would refund the cash for you as they are first in line on creditors list)

Similar if hmv went bankrupt and you had DVD pre orders if someone brought them they would not be obliged to give you anything.

Valve are a relitively tiny publisher house. They have only released a few titles in many years. Dou't they would want to buy a publisher like THQ.

The disadvantage of any buyout is the pc titles would likely be delayed till after console releases.

11. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

Only franchise i can see going to EA is the WWE one.

I believe Valve will take CoH.

as for the Warhammer franchise....Blizzard Activision.

12. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Metro:2033 First light save yourself!!

13. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

I wonder if Sega will bid to take the Warhammer 40k license as they have gotten the Warhammer one from THQ- at least they would take 40k back to the first dow not the coh clone that is dow2.

Though GW may even pull the license from THQ as if the company goes relic may disappear as well.

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've got 2 for the 360, bought one each for my nephew (8) and niece (7) when they were going for £20 on Amazon around February last year.

Cleo loves playing on hers (but then, she loves drawing) and the art program that comes with it isn't too bad.

Haven't picked up any other games for it though (was tempted to get the marvel superhero one for Taylor, and the Pictionary one for Cleo as they're cheap enough at the moment ~£7).

15. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

why would Blizzard want 40k when they have Warcraft/Starcraft? Furthermore, i doubt you could buy 40k from THQ since they pay for the rights from Games Workshop.

I also doubt valve would buy up COH. It just doesn"t seem like them.

16. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

40K universe + titan