1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC dilemma - Small case needed, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 6 Aug 2009.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Hi all,

I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment as to what to do with my PC.
    I'm off to Uni in september, the room I will be in, which i've seen a photo of (not visited, unfortunately.)
    is really, very small. The desk space is totally minimal and I think I will struggle to have my
    current case there, which is an Antec 1200.

I really need a few suggestions of a MUCH smaller case that I could put my components in
    so it doesn't take up as much room. This is a big problem as I know that the 1200 is VERY
    good at the cooling so I want a much smaller case which is also absolutely brillant at cooling.
    Would also like it to be easy to work with with good cable management.

The spec of the PC is as follows;

Intel C2D E8400
    AC Freezer 7
    4gb Dominator RAM
    ASUS P5Q Pro
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512mb
    Antec Quattro 850
    2 1TB F1 HDD
    CDDVDRW NEC

The downside to choosing the case, is the budget is only £50 - with a possible extra £10 if I
    need an extra fan (I have an extra 120mm scythe fan on the 1200 I can use) or two.

I was also thinking of possibly just selling the whole PC (not with monitor) and getting a good
    laptop, but the laptop I want is £1100 (GT275 MSI), and I don't think my PC will be getting
    that sort of money!

So, any suggestions on some very good much smaller cases anyone!?

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers!

Pete.

2. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Why not try the 1200's little brother?

Antec 300 has pretty good cooling, 1 x Rear 120mm Tri-Cool and 1 x Roof 140mm Tri-Cool included with the case. Mounts for 2 x 120mm in the front, 1 x 120mm side.
    And all for £45!
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=811571

3. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Frankly, I don't think your system needs the cooling that a case like the 1200 provides. Or at least I'm not really seeing any components that would go south given anything less than just a couple of 120mm fans blowing over them. If you were running a Core 2 Quad or a 140W Phenom, plus a video card that didn't dump its hot air outside the case, I might think differently. But you'd be covered by about anything, I think.

Given that, I would recommend looking at the Lian-Li PC-A05NB, which cuts down on the height of a standard ATX case by removing a few 5.25" and 3.5" drive bays and moving the PSU to the bottom front of the case (a small extension cord leads the plug to the back). There's only a single 120mm fan in front and another in back, but the back is very well ventilated, and like I said, I don't think you'll need a more powerful cooling setup than that.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't notice you had a budget. Disregard that recommendation.

- Diosjenin -

Last edited: 6 Aug 2009
  4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You can just stick with the 1200, put the PC on the floor or something.

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Sell your PSU + case and get a Shuttle P35/X38/P45/X48 based case.

6. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Cheers for the advice guys, still deciding, but I think that the Antec 300 route is about the best
    route to take. While I would love to have a shuttle, i've had bad experiences in the past so cba
    messing around with them right now :p Might get myself another 1TB hdd while i'm at it.

Think i'll sell my car for a laptop... hmm

Tags: