1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Bloody XP Pro doesnt support RAID!?!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Guest-16, 5 Nov 2001.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:mad: Im not 'appy :(

XP Pro doesnt like RAID, but it does like dynamic disks whatever they are. It doesnt do software RAID, but will do certain hardware - including promise hardware on my A7v-133!?! but when i goto install it - it doesnt recognise any disks being there!?! WTF?? :(:(

2. macroman

macroman The One

You probably need to load the controller driver during the install.
    You could try installing with the drive on the IDE port and then swap it over afterwards.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That wont work as the stuff needs to be setup on RAID as the 2 disks act as one. The norm IDE ports dont support RAID :(
    Ive tryed installing a 3rd party raid driver on install, but it still doesnt recognise it!?!

4. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

My Promise chipset detects just fine in the installer, but I do have to have the driver on a floppy disk for some strange reason ;)

Lots of people are having problems getting promise raid to work tho I think it has something to do with what hard drives are being used and what not.

Ohhhh yer XP raid stuff is lot slower in my case than win2k :(

Last edited: 5 Nov 2001
  5. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

Yeah, XP is pants at making my RAID work efficietly aswell.......to the extent that its barely worth having it at all (2x30gig 60gxps ona KT7A-R) .......... cant remember the sisoft scores but on XP its about 10000 less than I got on ME..............:(

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hmmm what drivers are you using then, cause XP detects my promise RAID is there, BUUUUUT it doesnt detect the array on it!?!

Ive tryed the most updated ones off the asus website, but can you recomend any others?

Im also gonna email Promise to see what they think...

7. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Its your RAID array set to bootable? Maybe WinXP can only use them???

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea it boots up the RAID array, i swapped over the jumpers on the mobo from ATA100 to RAID0 and swapped the BIOS over from ATA100/SCSI to SCSI/ATA100 and back cause i dunno why it calls it scsi, but my harddisks are detected as Scsi!?! even though they are ATA 100! :confused: :confused:

9. piec'st

piec'st What's a Dremel?

I'm in the same boat...and a boat with a hole in it as well.

Epox raid.

Took 10 repartions and formats to get xp pro on...after going haywire on the drives or blue screens.

No RCM device driver will load.

My two IBM's are half as fast as they should be.

And to add my two Ibms are like yours recognised as scusis.

wtf.

But as you first stated I know a few who put the raid on dynamically.....set it up on a sprare drives and moved it across but I can't find out how they actually did it........or come to that what a dynamic thingy is :( :confused: :mad:

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

11. macroman

macroman The One

Have you tried using just one stick of ram or setting the drives to PIO mode instedad of UDMA? If that works restore the settings after instalation.

12. macroman

macroman The One

Have you tried using just one stick of ram or setting the drives to PIO mode instedad of UDMA? If that works restore the settings after instalation. You could try reducing fsb to 100Mhz and remove any pci cards until XP is installed.

13. SuperScrubber

I didnt install any third party drivers when it asked me to............didnt have the cd to hand.........it still installed over the top of my old ME install (on the RAID) though. It works fine at the moment except for the shoddy performance in sandra...........I've updated the 4in1s since then as well (includes the highpoint driver) and its still slow................must have found the old RAID driver I had on from ME I guess :confused:

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea u installed it OVER Me, mines from scratch so there's the prob. It works in 98se just not XP.

Macro - thx for ideas, but im not gonna do that - too much work, im half tempted to go back to 2 sets of UDMA 100 disks :( i need to get a pc running and my work done!! :rolleyes:

15. nwilcox

nwilcox What's a Dremel?

XP pro support RAID I don't know about home though

All you have to do is hit 'F6' during install and put your raid driver floppy in the drive. The install prog will do the rest!

16. SuperScrubber

You havent seen the benchmarks this results in compared to ME ............. not much difference between RAID and non-RAID now, actually quicker without it in real terms............:)

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea i have up and am running it without now :)

Tags: