1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple xCode 4 Cookbook recipe book review

Discussion in 'Software' started by Solidus, 17 Sep 2013.

1. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Hello folks,

I wanted to do a review of this book as I received a promotional copy and part of the condition was I do an honest review.

As iv been a member here for a while I mentioned this was one of the places that I would review it so if theres people out there that are into iOS development or interested in it you may find this helpful.

The Book "Xcode 4 Cookbook" can be found HERE.

Review:
    I would say for someone that wants to get into ios development as a complete beginner its probably not for you. This book is mainly geared for people that have begun to get more comfortable with the iOS development tools and feel like they are no longer complete beginners.

The book has a bunch of recipes for making various applications. For someone interested in this book they are likely wanting to learn to do specific things in xcode and are probably looking at this book wondering if it has the recipe they are looking for.
    In the spirit of being helpful I have taken some screenshots of the actual chapters so people have a clear idea of what is actually in this book before they purchase it as I think that will hold a big sway in whether they buy it or not, the screenshots are below at the end.
    Much of the books focus looks at building applications that interact with Facebook, iCloud, Core Location and the Core Motion Frameworks and applying them to your own applications.

The books talks you through specific recipes in steps and then has a small section on "how it works" which attempts to explain why you are taking specific actions. This is quite helpful because if you are still slightly new to xcode it attempts to explain why you are actually taking specific steps that it dictates.

The first chapters are spent explaining how to setup your development environment before taking any actual steps. Again this is helpful for people still making the jump from a complete n00b.
    The book overall spans a little over 400 pages so its not thin by any means. The book itself expects yourself to have a good experience of xcode and reading through it it does make some jumps and assumptions in explaining things with less detail which may throw the beginners.
    I would say most of all; if the chapters below highlight anything your specifically looking to make then you will find this book useful.
    If what you want isnt there and your still finding your feet this may be a waste for you and you are best suited on the beginner books that look to help you get more comfortable with Xcode before making the full jump to the more complicated apps.

The book is priced at £29.44 which I feel is probably a little steep for people unless they see something that they actually need to make within the books chapters itself.

For the intermediate user who does see something useful in this book - I would say it is most suited for yourself and if theres something you see in the chapters that you want to learn - you will most likely find it useful.

I hope people found this useful!
    :)

Screenshots of the chapters are below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Margo Baggins likes this.
  2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Nice review :)

I get lots of promo copies of technical handbooks from packt for review, for some reason I had never considered posting them here.

Solidus likes this.