1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do I tell work whilst I'm on probation that I am mentally unwell?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by law99, 7 Mar 2014.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Hi. I'm off to see my gp next Friday.

But in the meantime, considering I'm on probation, do I tell my new employer that I am depressed on the verge of giving up as well as paranoid?

I'm not sure what rights I have during this time. And to be quite honest I'm scared of the new director.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you don't tell them, they may be able to deny liability for anything that happens to you at your place of work, and also for any accidental damage or harm you cause to a colleague or customer while at work.

You don't have to tell your boss. Tell the Occupational Health department and seek their advice.

law99 likes this.
  3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Do you mean at my work, or there is a organisation I can go to? Being at work right now on my phone is not working to well when it comes to internet searches.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Is your depression long term or is there something recent that has brought this on?

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Are you on probation due to something that you did whilst having these feelings? Can you not get an emergency appointment with your GP?

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I think by on probation OP means in a probationary period of employment, ie for the first x months employers can put you in a probationary period, assuming you perform well enough the job is yours. It is a fairly standard practice (I think) for large organisations, I know I had to have them a couple of times.

I would recommend that you consult your HR dept. Did you not have to do a health screening form when you applied, if so it should be on that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

law99 likes this.
  7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

As soon as you tell your workplace, whether it's an Occupational Health department, the HR department or your boss, the company then has a legal duty of care while you are at work.

As Nexxo says, though, until you tell them you have no rights if anything happens to you or a colleague.

law99 likes this.
  8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

It's always been there since idiocy as a kid. But it has been in the last 6 months it has come on real strong and the stuff I know isn't going on that in my mind is has resurfaced. I don't want to rabbit on too much as I'm not after diagnosis. No offence to anyone.

Dancing bear is correct, it is with regards to employment probationary period.

I am pretty likely to get myself fired at the moment. Random outbursts, unpredictable reaction to queries and I just don't care about my work at all; if it gets done or not who cares? What is the point anyway sort of vibe going on.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

In which case, tell them and explain why the outbursts are happening. This will, at the very least, minimise the chances of you getting sacked.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering its been going on for a long time there is a risk you will need to visit a doctor more than once or twice a year, so there will be no way to hide it from the employer anyway, so I'd say be honest about it and tell them.

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I would tell your employer. In fact, I would even go so far as to put it in writing.

Nexxo is spot on. If they know about it then it's their responsibility. If they don't know then it's not really their fault.

Basically without going into too much detail at the last two jobs I had I ended up physically lashing out at my bosses. The first one I kicked through some shelves, the second I slapped really hard. As such I was deemed unemployable by my local job centre as in their words "We are responsible if we send you to a job and something happens".

They can't dismiss you over mental illness as it would bring them a whole world of problems.

law99 likes this.
  12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

OK. After my gp sees me I will tell them.

The thing I was really worried about is that when my probationary period is up they can just say thanks, but no thanks, regardless of whether I did the job or not. The reality is they don't need me. As far as I can tell anyway...

In the meantime I have some job interviews lined up closer to home. I don't feel comfortable driving to work as far as i do anymore.

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

In situations like this, I would always be afraid of being fired, even if it's illegal to be fired for the exact thing in question - I imagine an unscrupulous employer would just fire you but not state the actual reason, making up or exaggerating some other reason for it instead.

law99 likes this.
  14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

This is the problem. They can quite easily say bye for any other reason they could dream up.

15. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Andy you are the first person I have everknown to attack their Boss.........Twice :D

law99 likes this.
  16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I think most of us have wanted to at one or two thousand points ;)

17. AlienwareAndy

I don't play. Even when I was a kid I warned people off of 'play fighting' with me as I don't like any form of confrontation.

The first incident happened in the back of a Blockbuster store. Basically I was out back resurfacing DVDs. The store manager of that shop was a bit of a cock. You know? some skinny runt nerd that knew jujitsu and snapped people's legs for a living... Yeah, right.

Unfortunately for him I had on my nice new Timberlands. I was leaning over the machine (that you could easily lose a finger to) and he started pissing around throwing things at me. I warned him once, stop. He didn't listen. Then he starts throwing Amarays (dvd covers) at the back metal door which resulted in a loud bang. As some one with autism I do not like loud bangs, nor people making me jump I just lose it.

So he comes out with a metal stick and bangs the door. Obviously he was looking for a rise and he found it. I gave him a lovely skin head stomp to the right thigh which sent him flying backwards into the shelves which all collapsed leaving him in a heap.

The second time I was working at a restraunt. Again, I had knives that could take off your finger. One of the employees realised that -

A. I don't like talking with any one whilst I work. I'm there to work, that's it, I don't want to be your friend, **** off.

B. I was a very jumpy person, so when he used to come up behind me and yell in my ear I used to leave the ground.

In the end I just turned around, gave him a bitch slap to the face and threw off my apron and walked out.

As an aspie I don't do authority, especially at work. I see every human being on this planet (even the thickies with chit IQs) as equal. Giving one the eternal right to basically bully people and make them feel like chit never really washed with me (my teachers hated me, firstly because I called them by their first name and not 'sir' and secondly because I constantly challenged their authority).

So when you get some mall cop power crazed douche sack on a power trip it's like gun powder to me. I'm absolutely fine if I'm left alone to my own devices, it's when I have to communicate with what I see as a bunch of aliens...

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Like the 'worst jobs' thread, you've impressed on me how few really nasty people I've had to deal with. Most of the people I've worked with wouldn't dream of behaving like that. Both of those guys sound like they were complete pieces of ****, and I'm glad I haven't had to work with anyone like them.

Maybe it's a menial job thing? The other thread seems to have a lot of horror stories from service sector and manual labour environments. One nice thing about IT as an industry is that everyone's a *****, I've never encountered an outright bully or prankster working in IT.

19. AlienwareAndy

It's a pecking order thing.

If you go to work in say, a video store, then you usually find that your work mates are unskilled and have no qualifications and thus take this stupid menial job very seriously. Promotion in a video store means you carry the manager badge and get an extra 30 cents per hour. Now me? I could see how crappy and crumby that was. Them? bloody hell, they would beam with pride.

And it's very cut throat, because instead of using your brains to educate and better yourself you are instead using them to **** over your fellow employees and rise to the top of the pecking order. It's basically like mall cops (security guards). This type is usually pretty low on the IQ scale and thus see their badge and ability to strut around with a can of CS gas by their side as empowering them.

Me? well I was intelligent enough to know that these were **** jobs. I was only doing them because I was desperate for work. Thus I just wanted to go in, get them done and go home with the minimal of fuss and stress. But I found myself incapable of doing so because I have a very very low threshold of patience or tolerance for some one wanting to annoy me.

Here in the UK I always had decent jobs. I only lasted a year tops in them (before my brain would screw me over) but they were decent jobs. I still found myself arguing with people 24/7. I just like to be left alone really but that's not possible when you are working.

I've even tried self employment, but sadly things go well for a few months and then I'm either hit by a massive bout of mania or depression so deep that I just chuck it all in.

20. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Look for a job in manufacturing. It's much easier to ignore people's vapid babbling when you're wearing earplugs :)