1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin media Fibre opinions?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by sonicgroove, 18 Apr 2014.

1. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

I have just signed up to a really quite good (on paper) deal for 152mb Fibre, with TV, extra box and phone line, to replace my Sky contract. It's barely any more than I pay now for much, much less. We must have quite a few people on here that have a current Virgin contract.

I ask for the opinions of CURRENT owners, as Virgin changed their draconian throttling rules in February, which previously would have been pretty intrusive on a daily basis for most people. It's now just heavy uploaders that suffer apparently.

What sort of speeds are you getting? (particularly the 152mb users) Is it a reliable connection? What are the Superhubs like for Wifi coverage in your house? Have you got any Customer service nightmares to share?

2. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

Ive not got the 152mb speed yet. Virgin are still rolling it out.

So I have 120mb and I get that speed near enough all of the time... I dont do a speed test several times a day tho.

But I am a heavy uploader and I do see my upload speed drop now and again. But its still faster that anything I can get on a BT line :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I think it very depends on how contended the line is in your area as well - if there are loads of users, I understand it can be a bit crappy. Stories of that seem to be dwindling though so I am pretty sure the network capacity is being upgraded at the same time as the speed capabilities.

4. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

I get the full 60Mb all the time
    [​IMG]

Only thing about virgin is if you're in a area suffering from over utilisation it takes them ages to upgrade combat it (I had 1 year of problems in the peak times but got refunded every penny and more)

That said I have been a customer on this network for about 17 years and that's the only time I have had real problems.

At this time I would think utilisation issues are low due to the fact they upgraded the network
    last year to update the speed, they're upgrading again this year for the new speed roll out.

5. sonicgroove

Sounds promising then as I live in a fairly rural area, and sky is pretty much king round my way. I seem to remember a site that detailed the usage stats of households in the area you lived. I'll check it again if I can find it.

6. sonicgroove

All installed and running perfectly now, after a few hiccups. I'm getting 160mbit down and 12mbit up. Downloading Ubuntu. it comes down at between 18mb and 19mb per second. Not too shabby!

7. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

sweet :thumb:

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I'm on the 60Mbit package. It used to be terrible but it's been excellent for the past couple of months! However, the "Super Hub" is has terrible wifi performance. I've had two now, and both randomly dropped out, slowed down etc. In the end I just put the SuperHub in modem mode and used my old router for the wifi and it works much better!

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

call up virgin and complain, they will send a superhub 2 out (meant to be a lot better) and there is also an offer i had on the my.virginmedia.com page about going to the up to 152mb package for £2.50 a month (we were on 30 here before)

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Good luck with your package you might be one of the lucky ones. In my area when I was on a the 60meg line we had nothing but problems. Oversubbing meant my line would drop to unusable during peak time.

7pm onwards. I called them about this a week to week basis and never got things sorted. I switched to BT Infinity and have yet to have any issues what so ever. I needed the upload speed to be honest. Actually wanted the upload speed, which is higher and is never throttled.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Fiber just depends on area if its over subscribed your screwed at peak times till they upgrade which can take several months to a year depending on situation.

We have sky fiber at the minute and it's pretty stable 80 down 20 up constant they also do not care what you download which is useful.

12. sonicgroove

The speed has been totally stable so far. I'm loving it. I downloaded an Ubuntu ISO earlier in under a minute, which was fun! I don't even like Ubuntu!

The TV on the other hand is rubbish. It's slow and unintuitive, badly organised and unable to deal with multiple button presses when waiting for an instruction to be carried out. Sky has this pretty much nailed down though. They should clone that system.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

There is no Fibre in my street, so the choices are Virgin or ADSL. I find it good most of the time, except that Virgin have this stupid system of cacheing YouTube videos on their server that just DOES NOT WORK. Quite often at peak hours YT is unusable (Netflix etc is perfect)

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Whilst my current choices are VM or no internet [no BT Line... long story], but I've had no real issues with them, and whenever there was a major problem they were quick to send out an engi...

Their DNS servers can be a bit flaky though, might want to use openDNS or the google one...

Can't comment on the TV [don't have it], or the phone [have but don't use]

15. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

A long time VM customer here. I've just upgraded to the 50meg package with Tivo and the Superhub 2. Getting 19ms ping, 54.60Mbps down and 3.19Mbps up.

Of course you're going for a different connection but I would speculate that you would get what you are paying for. I was also talking to the engineers who have it and they were pleased (and biased maybe). If not there is a 7 day cool-down period to cancel.

I don't watch the telly that much, the Tivo is good for recording but don't rely on it for on demand. They don't tell you (according to the engineer I had out to check it) that there is a problem with BBC iplayer and ITV's equivalent at their end (not Virgins) that they can't resolve. 4od works fine but BBC and ITV is temperamental. I have the PS3 as a backup so it's more of an annoyance. The old HD box worked fine with no issues with on demand, so it's a little disappointing.

The new hub is very good. I highly recommend it.

I wasn't aware that VM had changed their traffic management policy. Off to read it now.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC they only only throttle/manage uploads now...

17. sonicgroove

I wonder if they'll let me cancel half the order during the cooldown period? I kept Sky on wi the intention of cancelling when all was up and running and had a pretty good deal going with them to be fair. I think the combination of Virgin Fibre and Sky TV would be a winner. No doubt I would be heavily penalised financially by both companies though for only having one service from each :(

The Superhub is working like a dream in my 270 year old stone built (2 foot thick walls) 3 story house. The kids are on the third floor and the hub is on the first floor, and they haven't complained yet with either the phones/tablets or Xbox Slims on Xbox live.

I can't stop running speed checks. I suppose it's kinda like a quick 'pinch me, I must be dreaming' thing. 160MBit is crazy, especially for the price I'm paying (under £50 for the lot!)