1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Window hanging on checking for updates.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kronos, 14 Jan 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Windows 7 32 bit.
    Fresh install.
    All drivers installed.
    SP1 and a bunch of other updates installed.
    Now it hangs on Checking for Updates.
    Have run the repair tool which fixed everything bar Windows update error code 0x80070005.
    I have two installation disks one which had SP1 on it and then a second which did not.
    The hanging seems to happen after SP1 installed but no idea why.

Any suggestions as a fresh install is something I have done often on my own PC and once or twice on my partners which is the one that is giving me grief?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I've heard reports of WU spazzing out on new install unless/until IE11 is installed.

That said, maybe give this a try, found it much quicker than waiting for WU on a fresh install of 7 [also handy if you're having to do more than one PCs]

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

What am I looking for here?

Edit: I assume the Autopatcher?

4. RedFlames

yes sorry, it's a pain to link to... and I don't/won't link to files/downloads directly...

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sorry but I have not got a clue what to do with Auto patcher. Some step by step instructions would help.

6. RedFlames

Run, accept licensing blah and you should see this -

[​IMG]

Click 'Download updates'

[​IMG]

Pick the updates you want to download

[​IMG]

wait... when it's done you'll be back at image 1, pick 'install' this time

[​IMG]

and select what you want to install

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Hmm, that is what I did but except I did not get to your last image for some reason.

So this morning I have swapped hard drives and am beginning again.

8. wufer

wufer What's a Dremel?

Well well, I just had the same problem yesterday.
    New install Windows 7, on a new ssd. Installed ok.

When i clicked for updates page, there was that big red cross.
    So I clicked the 'check for updates' anyway.
    The big red cross went off, and the green line started going across, checking for updates.
    Ten mins, and the green line still checking but no sign of updated.
    So I left it to do its work for 30 mins.
    Went back....nothing, just the green line still going across but no sign of updates.
    By this time i was loosing my rag, and thought bugger it, and clicked the pc off.
    And, low and beholed I had 73 updates to install.

So Kronos try that.
    Go to the update page.
    Even if the big red cross is there, click'check for updates', and leave it for 30 mins or so.
    Shut down, and see if you get any updates.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers wufer but I had no problems downloading and installing SP1 it was after that that I would get the Checking for updates screen. And I see the problem is widespread with even talk of Microsoft messing up the Windows 7 updates to encourage us to move to Windows 10.

Anyway I found another proposed solution which has worked and that was to use the Windows Update standalone Installer which seems to have worked but I am still not completely sure at this point. I have certainly installed hundreds more updates than yesterday.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am no further forward with this issue. I have tried virtually everything I came across using Google and there are plenty of suggestions out there.
    But it seems every tool whether it be the Windows Update standalone tool to the Windows System Update readiness tool also seem to hang although it looks like at least 50% of the CPU is being used and around 35% of memory so something is happening.
    Perhaps I just need to let it run for however long it takes?

11. sourdough

sourdough Minimodder

I installed windows 7 on a new NUC a few weeks ago and thought Checking for updates was taking forever because it was giving me no indication that it was doing anything. At the end I left it and it did finish in about 1.5 - 2 hours.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I had this a few weeks ago and I seem to recall just leaving it to run its course. It finally sorted itself out

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have never had this issue before and it is a bit worrying as I will definitely want to reinstall Windows 7 on my own PC's at some point. And a task that normally takes little more than a couple of hours has taken well over 24 and still nowhere near finished.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The continuing saga.
    I have installed, after 3 hours, SURT
    Then I installed WUSA which installed almost immediately.

The notification area then popped up a bubble telling me that there are important updates for me, on clicking on Update I see the usual Checking for updates, but I thought this will not take long because I have just received notification.
    Wrong, it is still 'Checking for Updates' an hour and a half later. I think I have exhausted my options so will leave this running for a while in the forlorn hope that something happens.

Edit: At around 5pm on day two I have finally got there. It takes its time finding the updates and on a fresh install this has to be a Microsoft cause. I am still not ready to change to Windows 10.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2016
  15. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'll pop this up here as its a useful tool for Win7 - http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Allows you to download all the update, store on a USB stick etc. Then when you do a fresh build it can automatically install all the update, reboot the machine as needed and continue installing more. Allows options for which IE, .NET etc you install.

I use it a fair bit at work where we have slow links and I give it a :rock: :)

16. Deders

Deders Modder

I've had this issue on several machines I've done win7 installs on recently. For me it was just a case of waiting several hours before the updates appeared. I world usually download the latest Internet Explorer amongst the first downloads to avoid downloading updates for previous versions. Maybe that is why the issue only occurs for me on the first attempt.

Usually the waiting time is anything from 4-5 hours to 8 hours. I think this correlates somewhat to the amount of processor power available, there is usually a process or 2 taking up a core's worth of CPU power each when this is happening. A singe core atom will take forever, but my old i5-750 hardly took any time at all. For the Atom, I would recommend leaving it overnight.

I've also had the situation that Wufer described, but only when automatic updates were enabled in the background.

17. wufer

wufer What's a Dremel?

18. Deders

Deders Modder

I've just completed an install on a quad core atom. Took over 36 hours to finish updating. Had to go through 2 searches that took over 10 hours each. Installing IE11 first didn't help.

Easiest way is probably to leave it on auto update initially. This seems to happen much sooner and you can manually check for the last few.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

What I find odd that this is a recent occurrence. All my PC's are regularly subjected to fresh installs and this is the first occasion that I have had this sort of nonsense. I have a Windows 7 32bit and 64bit with integrated SP1 but it made not the slightest difference. It still took mega hours to update.
    As I have already said the cynic in me thinks that this is a deliberate ploy by Microsoft to encourage a move to Windows 10.

20. Deders

Deders Modder

Maybe, but this definitely started occurring over a year and a half ago for me, but only on slower computers.