1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adoption

Discussion in 'Serious' started by wharrad, 30 Apr 2004.

1. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

I've just seen on the news that in the States (on ABC I believe) - there is a reality tv show where you can win this 16 year old's child!!

Are they having a laugh or just completely lost all morals? I thought showing Princess Diana pictures was sick enough - but this child still has his/her life to live!

2. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Are you ****ing kidding?

Got any kind of link for info? When will this reality TV fad go away; it's worse than Friends ever was.

EDIT:
    More here;
    And here

It would seem indeed there is a show about winning a baby for infertile couples. From what I've read, it seems to be more of "documentary" on open adoption than reality TV (as the second article suggests), although its masqueraded as a reality show in order to get more hype.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2004
  3. 0ddity

0ddity What's a Dremel?

I was adopted when I was 3, I would be pissed as hell if they turned it into a reality TV show. Its a life, and its one that isn't able to make its own choices yet, and these people are obviously making the wrong choices for them. There are better ways to get adoption publicisied.

4. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

BBC

I saw it on the BBc News 24 channel - but there's the link.

The report did say it was meant to be a look at the open adoption system, although I hope it's not just a way of justifying broadcasting the thing.

Last time I "checked" (can't remember my source) - there are around 55,000 adopted people in the UK and I don't think one would agree this is a good idea.

5. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Okay, I'll try to explain the premise of 20/20... it's a "looking at america" kind of show, not a reality TV show... They often take hidden cameras into places like car dealerships and jewelry stores that rip people off to show the american public *how* they rip people off and how to keep it from happening. They also run stories on people's lives... the things most people don't talk about because they think they're too good to admit that they think about it. Things like adoption... I wish I knew when it came on, I'd watch it. But I can guarantee you it's not going to be like a reality show, what it will be is a program that will show people how the process works, how painful it is, and I can assure you it will go deep into the mother's thoughts.
    It may be reality TV in the sense that it's REAL and not some bull**** scenario that some guy sitting in his plush corner office came up with, but not reality TV in that it's coming up with some outlandish idea and making people play ring-toss to win...

/me goes off to find out when it's on...

Edit: damn, missed it entirely... but I still stand by my statement that it wasn't a reality TV show. Anyone who knows what 20/20 is should know that.

Further thought:
    The more I read the more I think it was just a very dramatic subject. You all seem to realize that already. When you run a show like that you're going to get a wide spectrum of views... however, you'll often find that one side of the view is usually far more vocal than the other, which usually hasn't been so effected to go write to the world about it.

Some people are angry at the fact that they ran a show about it instead of telling her how she could get help and raise the child herself... but before that is brought up here, the show wasn't designed to change one person. It was designed to show the truth to the nation, thus making people think for themselves and realize "holy crap, why didn't they offer her that option?" then maybe the show will effect more people... They realize they have the placement to change many people at once. They also realize that's *much* faster than changing people one-by-one.

Last edited: 3 May 2004
  6. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

well, fair enough if it was done tastefully, and as I didn't see the show so I don't really know how bad it was.

The only clip shown here in the UK was an advert that went something along the lines of...

"5 couples, 1 child, the mother must decide".

Also, for it to make news in the 51st state (or 52nd depends what you count I guess) - then it must be fairly dramatic.

Although I know the type of show you describe, and they're generally good. Just hope the child isn't remembered and later reminded by someone before he/she can understand.