1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays LCD/LED monitors with thinnest bezel.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synay, 19 Apr 2010.

1. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if any of you would point me into direction of the slimmest bezel monitor. My requirements:

1. 23-24"
    2. Full HD.
    3. Very thin bezel - as I'll put them side by side.
    5. At least 2 input connections (either 2xDVI or 1xDVI and 1xanalogue)
    5. HDMI not essential.
    6. Fast response time.
    7. Good colour, contrast and brightness.
    8. Budget - £250 per monitor ( I will have two of them).

Hope that's not too much to ask :)

Thanks

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Can i ask why they need to be thin bezels? I cant say as the bezels on my moitors make any difference in normal use. The only benefit of thin bezels would be gaming but on two monitors it would be horrible anyway (center of view would be between the 2 monitors).

You'd bee much better going for 2 decent monitors over lower quality but thinner bezel units imo.

3. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, good point with the gaming. I was thinking of it, just not the way you did. Nice I asked. :thumb: So for good gaming experience I'd need 3 then?

4. 13eightyfour

Generally you would have 3 for a multi monitor setup i think, 3 monitor eyefinity for example as this then focuses on the middle monitor (crosshair/car whatever in the middle of the screen instead of being in blank space between 2 monitors).

I only have 2 monitors but i use them both extensively in windows, but when im gaming it defaults to the primary display.

If you want multiple monitors for gaming i think 3 is the way to go if its just to be more productive in windows then 2 would be fine.

5. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I think I will stick with my 24" for gaming then and will get smaller 19" for things like skype and stuff when gaming and rest of the windows like Folding@home and skype with main for the browser as to have everyhing in the view at the same time without the need of alt+tab-ing :)

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that, unless you're running in windowed mode your secondary monitor will have a blank screen or non at all.

7. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

it depends on the game. some games leave the other screen on desktop, some don't. i remember Age of Empires 3 did it, but dawn of war 1 didn't. right now i don't have acces to the second screen so i can't test

8. 13eightyfour

General rule is that you cant 'use' the second screen whilst gaming but you can have anything displayed on it. Every game ive played so far leaves the second screen with everything open but if you click on anything on the secon screen whilst gaming, it auto alt tabs out of the game.

There are some exceptions though, Running the game in windowed mode will allow the second screen to still be used, Fallen Earth has a full screen window mode, which runs windowed but at full screen without any borders this allows you to actually use the second monitor and game at the same time, EVE could be the same but i cant remember.

9. Matarsak

Matarsak What's a Dremel?

Borderless windowed mode is the best thing since sliced bread, and should be mandatory for all new games.

Having run a dual monitor rig for some time, I can tell you that, as long as you run them at the monitor's native resolution, most games will not blank the secondary display, though you'll need to run windowed or alt+tab to interact with anything on it.

10. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

If you're using a non native resolution on your primary display (e.g. an older game that only runs at 1280 x 1024) then the details on any secondary monitor positioned logically either to the right or below the primary screen will be moved and/or distorted as the resolution changes. You can get around this by changing the monitor position to be either above or to the left (in Windows only, no need to do it physically) and it should then be unaffected.

The only other problem I've found with this sort of setup is that the mouse hook sometimes doesn't work properly in certain RTS games and so you lose edge scrolling. Irritating but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Should you intend to go to something like Eyefinity later on then an important detail to factor in is that all screens must run at the same resolution so ideally would be the same physical size. It's a touch disconcerting when the images don't line up quite right between the monitors, more so than the gap created by the bezels.

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Also strange when you first launch a game and it's in the wrong resolution. Does some very strange things to the side screen sometimes.

I'm not too sure what the cause is, but some games don't seem to pay attention to the side of the screen like you said, but some do. In shooters the mouse is technically stuck to the center of your screen. Even in windowed mode you can't just slide your mouse out of the window and onto a different one. On the flip side, some games will let you freely float off whenever, sometimes causing problems when you click outside the game and it alt-tabs. Some games seem to be a mix of both. Some shooters let you move your mouse off the window when you're in menus and don't have crosshairs.

Though, from my own experience, these slight problems are often trivial compared to the benefits. You don't have to alt-tab to check little things like Skype messages that don't matter, or check if calls dropped or if people joined etc. General things that may not require leaving your game. Or you can watch videos/play music and check the current song. Whatever it is you'd like to monitor as you play. It helps take care of the all the little things you with you could see while gaming.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

have experienced that with FEAR2. really annoying.

Tags: