1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Pico ITX Server Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by enhearten, 21 Sep 2011.

1. enhearten

enhearten What's a Dremel?

O.K so i am wanting to have a online 24/7 repository of music on in my house. Reason is i have a Sonos music system, along with various media extenders and enjoy being able to play all of my music if i want, now i thought about a nas and it would probably be fine for my need but nowhere as fun or interesting. So recently i acquired a Pico ITX system, with the plans of building a WHSv1 on a 7 watt system with a 1tb 2.5 hdd, i should be seeing 12 watts total use. This is the board

http://us.kontron.com/images/pr_trades/pr/3408/kontron-pitx-sp-sbc.jpg

so help and ideas bringing this all together would be great.

First question is a case for it i was thinking a mac mini case would be great and today i finally found a empty shell that i can buy that would fit the board , hdd and if i choose optical drive

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Apple-Mini-Mac-PC-Computer-Intel-Desktops-Case-Only-/320749372428?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item4aae27040c

What do you all think????

2. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Hi enhearten

That is a excellent idea.
    Have you got the Kontron board already? Their stuff is good, but it tends to be expensive.

3. enhearten

enhearten What's a Dremel?

Yup sure do got it second hand for 140 au so not to expensive I think it's well worth it Im just stuck for ideas as to how I want to house it, been so small I want to do something different

4. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Always wanted one of those pico boards.

There was a Artigo kit that allowed u to mount a pico board in a 5.25'' bay.

Server in a PC?

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I would try to fit it in a passive hard drive cooler. The body could probably be used as a heat sink too.
    -Other option would be one of those drive enclosures that looks like a G5.