1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Wii U Worth It?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pieface, 5 Aug 2014.

1. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Hey guys, I'm eyeing up the Wii U with Mario Kart 8 and was wondering whether its good value for money at the moment to get a Wii U?

I see ZombiU is only £6 (Although it got mixed reviews) and I never played Windwaker really so would be interested in that. Plus maybe other mario games in the future.

Anyone else here got a Wii U, and maybe even Mario Kart 8?

2. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Mario Kart 8 is a great game but I'm not sure it's a console seller on its own (is any game, really?). Personally, I think it's the best since Mario Kart DS.

My reasoning for getting a Wii U was that it offers games that are significantly different from what's available on a PC; I didn't feel that an XboxOne or PS4 offered that.

Windwaker HD is fantastic and looks amazing, Super Mario 3D World is a lot of fun and Smash Bros. is looking to be another good buy. ZombiU would be worth getting if only for how cheap it is. It may not have the support from 3rd parties but 1st and 2nd party games have the quality you'd expect from Nintendo.

3. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Can you get it for a decent price?

Do you really like Nintendo games?

If you can answer yes to both the above then it's a good purchase IMO.

If not then it's a hard sale (especially if you can pass on Mario, Zelda, etc.). There are some intriguing titles coming Smash, Bayonetta 2, Toad's Game, etc. but knowing Nintendo there will be droughts.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

In my opinion, no.

The WiiU is dying and is being kept afloat solely by a handful of first party Nintendo titles that are there to serve a rabid fanbase who are happy to play exactly the same games over and over again. Right now it's limping along sustained (barely) by Mario Kart and the future promise of a new Zelda game.

Third party support is basically non-existent, with publishers abandoning the platform by droves because they simply cannot make a profit. The release of MK8 was supposed to be a system seller, but it appears that Nintendo just sold copies of the game to existing WiiU owners and pulled in hardly any new hardware buyers.

If you want to play Windwaker, just get a cheap second hand Gamecube and play it on there. You'll save a fortune and it's exactly the same game, just a bit less shiny.

5. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

[hijack] how is the multimedia offerings in the wiiu? I heard talk of wii TV, but not seen anything of it.
    (I know I should just buy a roku)

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The special where you get a free game with the Mario Kart WiiU bundle is over sadly.
    If you want the WiiU for really cheap, and you don't mind refurbished, check out Nintendo own site. In the U.S and Canada, you can get the WiiU Deluxe refurbished, with all accessories and cables that you normally get the system + Super Mario Bros U with Luigi DLC for 200$, compared to 300$.

I got it new (Deluxe model, with Super Mario Bros U bundle), I got it as a gift. I have purchased Mario Kart 8. If you are interested in Nintendo current games, then you'll have countless hours of fun. The eShop also has interesting games like Ittle Dew, and Pushmo World (puzzle game, starts very easy, you have like 200 puzzle apparently (still playing), and it gets hard, check it out).

Mario Kart 8 is, in my book, one of the better Mario Kart among the series. Its fun, but not chaotic as Double Dash (that was the best, in my book). MK8 is closer to the SNES version. The weapons and carts are way more balanced. The only sucky thing about the game, is battle mode. They didn't do any stages for that. You pick race tracks. That was a big disappointment. 50cc is easy, 150cc is hard.. especially if you aim for Gold cup + 3 stars. And online, is even harder. So, lots of fun, no mater how good you are, you'll have a challenge meeting your need, I think.

7. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

8. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I got one for my 2 kids (me really). I love it.

Currently got Mario Kart 8, Zelda and Super Mario 3D World. Great games.

As long as you like those type of games it's worth it.

9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Don't forget it's 100% compatible with all Wii games and Accessories. I have mine softmodded, but I can play all of my older Wii games, upscaled slightly.

It's worth it if you like Nintendo and/or party games. I like both, myself.

I thought I'd wasted money on a Wii U since very little publishers are supporting it, but after messing around with it and playing some of the newer offerings, it is a pretty decent system. The Gamepad is more of a gimmick, but a lot of games give you the choice to just use an ordinary Wii Remote and Nunchuck, or a Wii U Pro Controller which I highly recommend.

10. GoodBytes

You have little to none. The problem is that Nintendo is not looking at competition. They see themselves as a toy manufacturing company, which is what Nintendo was and is. But I think, this generation, Nintendo is feeling the pressure. They are doing things that would be unimaginable for Nintendo to do.... open to indies, and be nice to them. Drop the requirements in being a dev, lower than any other console, and price for the dev console is real cheap. Only 2000$ (and some report is cheaper). Which is a practically free compared to XBox One and PS4 dev kits. They have A LOT to do still, but It's good that Nintendo is changing.

Anyway.
    WiiUI TVii is a crap. The idea is good, and I can see it being practical, but the hole thing is demanding website, so its not fast and fluid experience which doesn't make you want to use it. You can't play DVD's or Blu-Ray's. You can make make it play videos. There is no video players. It does have a kick-ass web browser though. Feels like using any desktop web browser. All sites work just fine, and appear correctly. HTML5 full support all with decent speed. No Flash plugin, although, but kinda of expected. YouTube works. The dual screen setup allows you to play a youtube video and surf on teh gamepad while it plays to find your next video.

One feature being ignored by many, is that the gamepad, without turning on the WiiU itself, act a s nice, simple universal IR remote. Once setup, you press a button, and you have basic control for your receiver and TV. Now, if you have a fancy home theater system, it won't be great. But if you have something like me: Cable box (or satellite box) and TV setup. Then yea, it's great. You can fire it up, any time also. It has a dedicated button for it. See it like your monitor on screen menu... but instead of controlling the screen of the gamepad, it allows you to change channel/input/volume of your TV, and receiver.

[​IMG]

You can have more options under the Tvii app, but it takes times to fire up. As you need to start the WiiU, then start the app which takes time, and now you tap on the button for the remote, and now you can pick your action. So not great.

11. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I took the plunge and got one today. Took a while to setup but got it going.

If anyone wants to add me it's Pieface876

12. GoodBytes

I shall add you..... Tonight!!! :D
    (I am at work now).

13. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I'll add too.

14. GoodBytes

You have been added. :D
    Look for GoodBytes !

Anyone who wants to add me, go ahead!

15. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Sent you guys requests :)
    FyrBridd is the name

16. GoodBytes

Added! :D

17. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Siritzal is my name guys, haven't had a chance to go on yet...

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Feel free to add me too.

19. GoodBytes

Both Added.
    Funny - When I typed your name Jake in the message box, it causes an error upon submission saying that the number can't be 6 or longer. So I said: Jake12345. :)

20. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Accepted you guys :)