1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspended from work!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Mighty Yoshimi, 19 Jan 2013.

1. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Sup people. I was wondering if anyone has been suspended from work before.

Essentially the background is I work in a company that used to have clock in and clock out machines. Swipe your badge at the machine at the door and it creates a record. However they took this system away and replaced it with a database where you manually select your times.

Which is fine but I never received any training on how to use it correctly. I used to enter start time lunch time and intended finish times because I am forgetful for things like that. So say I put down 0900 in 1200 out 1230 in and 1600 out as my intended day and on the way out the door someone asks me a work related question and it takes say 30 mins to answer. The next day if I arrive at 0945 I'll enter 0915 because I worked 30 mins more. Essentially because they claim no such conversations exist I'm on suspension pending investigation even though I have witnesses that they did happen!

There are other examples whereby I put down 1600 as my intended finish time and if I finished at 1545 and arrived at 0930 the next day I put through 0945 as my start time. So I have examples where it's in my favour and examples when it is not!

They say I'm looking at dismissal but I disagree because I worked my contracted hours but only used a system incorrectly that I never had any training on.

It sucks because the old system was fool proof but they brought this one in to save money apparently.

Anyone got any advice? I've involved my lawyer because of the gravity of the situation and raised a grievance against the managers.

Thanks In Advance!

2. j-a-c-o-b

j-a-c-o-b What's a Dremel?

Well, when I've done work placements (not paid) the times were 9am to 5pm. I normally ended up getting there for 8:15, so they let me go at 4:15. This certainly is fair to me and it is literally identical to what you've done here. The first system was defo fool proof I doubt it would save the company that much money with this new thing. I would of involved a lawyer, (uni law student here). What i've said I suppose isn't advice, it's more like, keep at what your doing.

3. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Although I can't offer any advise to help resolve the issue your having, I would make two points which are not in your favor here. Firstly you've openly saying you didn receive training on the new system so I think unles you specifically requested some training on it, I don't think thats the best excuse. Secondly entering intended times is NEVER a good idea, as you've rightly said you can get caught up in a conversation etc. I've worked flexi hours for nearly 10 years so signing in and out is my every day routine so I know what a PITA is can be :)

If the database needs to be completed each day - I would advise in future once you have entered a finishing time you stick to it, politely decline any work related conversation on your way out of the office or take the lost time on the chin - Fixing hour (even to make them tally up for the correct daily total) is just asking for trouble, especially if your co-working see what time you enter/leave work, you never know whos watching or making note.

If the database can be completed the next day, leave work remembering the finish time and update the previous days finish time the following morning while you complete your start time. Its how I do it and it keeps things simple - only works if it doesn't need a complete days time, each day (that make sense)

Hope you get it sorted, not a nice situation to be in as your just doing your job in the hours your paid for and get slapped down over a silly admin issue - its never fun :(

4. Mighty Yoshimi

Yeah Thanks for the advice, I mean I've been doing the hours and have witnesses. I just believe the flextime system to be bull. I loved swiping in and out because then there was no room for this sort of accusation. I hopefully will get it sorted I tried sorting it amicably by saying feel free to scrutinise my every movement for as long as you see fit.

However they declined and my dept is making 300 people redundant so feels like they're clutching at straws to get me!

If not onto bigger and better things!

Guess it's the nature of a software tester, massively busy then next minute not!

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Yeah, manual flexi systems suck - nature of the beast unfortunately.

We've been saying for ages about getting a swipe system but I'm a field IT engineer and to get to my office I have to drive past the buildings I support so it wouldn't really work for us.

It does kind of sound like they are maybe gunning to get rid maybe, just have to hope the witness's you have help your case. It's a shame as often after issues like this it feels like the trust between worker and management has gone so even if you keep the job I expect you'll wonder I they trust you anymore :(

6. Mighty Yoshimi

Yeah I don't even want to go back to them. Although I will try to get a severance package. Because it concerns a disability too it's very wishy washy!

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like a pretty sucky situation that you're in - I don't envy a callous flexi-time system at all. What I will say is that you should be careful how much you tell us on this forum, anything that you wouldn't shout out in a crowded public street should be kept to PMs, you don't want anything coming back to bite you on the ass.

8. Mighty Yoshimi

Yeah I know! Thanks for the concern but i've not revealed any details about my employer etc!

9. GMC

GMC Minimodder

I've only ever suspended an individual in circumstances of apparent gross misconduct. I.e. where their presence at work could represent a risk to the safety of corporate/client security, reputation, or staff safety/security, or where a criminal act may have been committed.

Suspension is (in my experience and opinion) unwarranted in the situation you describe unless there are other pertinent factors you have omitted to mention. Even if you are working on something commercially sensitive, timekeeping is not something that would indicate dishonesty. No accusation being made here, could simply be absurd behaviour by your employer. If so you could ask them to explain the apparently extreme suspension action.

10. Mighty Yoshimi

Yeah it makes no sense I LOVE my job so much. :( Just seems to be a case of we need to cut back lets dig up the dirt on everyone!

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'll be honest here, you've been using the system wrong by putting intended finishing times in - FlexiTime systems aren't supposed to be managed that way. What you should do is make the entries at the times you actually go for lunch, or leave the office at the end of the day, not enter what you think your ideal day is going to be.

I used to have to write mine on a card, which was a pain, but it also meant I could come and put what time I left home one day on the card the next if I forgot. I never filled it out in advance, for exactly the reasons you're finding.

By putting false times on your sheet, no matter the intention, you're cheating the system.

The fact you haven't been trained does mitigate the circumstances somewhat, but it isn't exactly a watertight alibi. You should have flagged up your lack of training, rather than muddle onwards.

12. Mighty Yoshimi

I will sort something out! The system has been changed for the very purpose of being able to let this sort of thing happen!

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Your (or rather, their) problem is that you got creative. Never get creative with management --they haven't got the mindset. rules is rules. Don't put in intended work times, and don't take something back if you cannot prove that you put it in. When you clock off is when you leave work. Any questions you answer after that is on your own time, sorry. If you leave late but it is not registered, it doesn't count. If you come in early but it is not registered, it doesn't count. That's how it works, I'm afraid.

14. Mighty Yoshimi

I've got them in a squeeze for things I can't disclose. I'll settle for 6 months pay which if they've any sense they'll pay!

15. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

hi ...

i am a union rep dude , i hope you don't mind but if you need any advice pm me . the fault lies with there poor training scheme . you have done nothing wrong , why should you be forced out because of a training issue ! :eyebrow:

16. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I think you'd find the "lack of training" a highly dubious defence tbh. You used to clock in and clock out. You knew it measured when you started and finished. Inputting it into a db is no different - you start, you finish. Why do you think the definitions would have changed even if the system of record had? Did they tell you the definitions had changed for start work and finish work?

17. Mighty Yoshimi

The system does not allow you to enter anything that is not either 0,15,30 or 45 of an hour.

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Whilst I think the suspension is harsh, the situation relates to someone intentionally subverting the system in place.
    I sympathise, however Yoshi has admitted entering incorrect data into the clocking database.

A verbal warning should have been sufficient, followed by a refresher on the proper use of he system.

I think the main issue here is the severity of the punitive action.

19. Mighty Yoshimi

I agree I've said lets give me a written warning for the past months entries you claim are false and give me the benefit of the doubt. Then scrutinise my entries for as long as you like!

20. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I agree on a personal basis that the response is punitive but the problem is he's lied by falsifying his time records, even though on a net basis they've not lost out on attendance hours. What they've lost which is actually the far greater issue is an ability to trust him. So I'd have thought the apologetic humble approach was more appropriate on his part.

Landy_Ed likes this.