1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z68 gigabyte + i7 2600k overclock

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by finch-beast, 4 Aug 2011.

1. finch-beast

finch-beast What's a Dremel?

:idea:Can some one point out a good tutorial how to overclock a z68 gigabyte + i7 2600k + g.skill ddr3 to its stable limits without crashing and blue screens?:idea:

Also can someone kindly explain these and suggest their values?:
    Turbo Power Limit in watts
    Core current limit in amps
    PWM Frequency control
    Multiple steps load line
    CPU Vcore
    QPI Vtt Voltage
    System agent voltage

Last edited: 4 Aug 2011
  2. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

3. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I followed the same Clunk guide (Great site) and took my 2600K upto 4.5Ghz 1.26v on a Z68 chipset.

J.

4. Chebob

Chebob What's a Dremel?

System instability is to be expected when overclocking, so dont worry about that. To get a nice stable overclock you might want to look into an aftermarket heatsink/fan, if you havn't alredy.

5. finch-beast

Overclocking results:
    Bluescreens
    Corupted Win7(reinstall)
    No clue

6. Leroyingo

I had to give mine a little bit more voltage then in the guide. Had to go to 1.28V to get stable at 4.5Ghz. Have you run a stress test at stock voltage first to make sure everything is okay?

7. finch-beast

yes sure its stable @ stock but all overclocking i do results in vein. what mainboard are you using Leroyingo?

8. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

If you are having trouble overclocking I would start with the Gigabyte OC tool.

Make sure all the bios values you have altered are returned to AUTO before using it.

Try the first level, run PRIME95 (blend) for a stability check. If all OK go to the next level and repeat. Report back with your experience before you attempt manual OC.

Are you folding as finch-king by the way?

9. finch-beast

Yes that's my folding user name. I use a different one cause I started folding on my ps3 first (and finch is my nickname so I added something else to work with). After my final OC from the bios with no results except for blue screens, the OS didn't want to boot anymore. I loaded the defaults and still no booting. Then I disabled the Turbo boost feature from the bios because there was the current and wattage limit and the OS booted. I don't know why but it worked.

My main problem is that I have a vcore voltage option and a qpi/vtt voltage option in the bios and I don't know which one is the real CPU voltage although when I increase the qpi/vtt voltage to say 1.25v the Core voltage in the CPUZ is 1.25v so I believe that the real core voltage for a gigabyte bios is the qpi/vtt. Still it doesn't make sense and I hope I didn't damage anything. Has any one had any experience with the latest gigabyte mainboard?

10. BJS

BJS What's a Dremel?

11. Leroyingo

The qpi/vtt voltage should be your memory not your cpu. The Vcore is your CPU voltage. If your are setting the qpi/vtt to 1.25 its no wonder you are getting bluescreens, as it should be 1.5-1.65v depending on ram.

12. One_Box

Sorry, I think you are approaching this the wrong way.

You have absolutely no need to enter manual values for voltages or anything else to obtain a modest overclock on your board - trust me on this - the bios WILL adjust things as necessary.

Whatever you have found necessary to do on previous generations of boards forget for Sandy Bridge.

Lets talk about the QPI voltage. Just set it on AUTO as I've already said.

You will find that on this AUTO setting the actual voltage will be 1.05V :jawdrop: (BTW it's not the memory voltage).

Lets hope you haven't damaged your board!!

You should be able to achieve 4.3GHz with everything on AUTO.

Do not turn turbo off !!!

Do the following in the bios : -

MB Intelligent Tweaker - Advanced Frequency Settings - CPU clock ratio - now set this to 40 as a start which will give you a CPU speed of 4GHz.

You do not need to do anything else at this stage just run Prime95 and check the CPU speed with CPU-z or something similar.

I do have a GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 among other SB rigs and have been playing with these mobos since March when the P67 B3 chipset first came out. IMO a lot of the OC guides (produced round about January) need to treated with a great deal of caution.

Have fun and get back if you need further help.

13. finch-beast

Thanks for all the help guys. I have tried some overclocking soon after i built this system and with some testing here and there i started to understand thing. i like to experiment a bit and this is what i achieved so far (Stable):
    4.5Ghz
    Vcore 1.36v
    load line level 7
    all the other settings are auto

14. Leroyingo

Thanks One-box for correcting my mistake, shows that you probably shouldnt write in the forum at 12:30am after attending a wedding and drinking a fair bit. I got my voltages mixed up as well :duh:

Hey finch, how are the temperatures on the processor?

15. One_Box

Look forward to seeing your Folding output on the increase, well done :clap:

16. One_Box

No problem, an easy mistake to make.

17. finch-beast

these are my current results:
    4.7 Ghz
    Vcore 1.428v
    Temp 78Celcius (average for four cores. also it's summer here and gets a little hot too)
    I have an H60 water cooling.
    Last time I saw the PPD on FAHMON was 32K (what do you think good/bad/can improve?)

18. One_Box

I would be inclined to back it off a bit for 24/7 folding duties.

4.5Ghz is a known sweet spot which will reduce the thermal load on your processor and your electricity bill. :)

You may also wish to consult the Intel website to determine the safe thermal limit for a 2600K ... (72.4DegC from memory)

19. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Definately drop it back, personally I wouldn't be wanting to sit above 1.35V for 24x7 use, 1.428V is pretty high.

Also, I don't suggest going above 72 degrees for 24x7 use either.

Have you completed over 10 units yet and are you using a passkey? As if that is what you are getting when just folding it is a tad low, I get around 38k PPD with a 2600k@4.5Ghz.

Just so you know, I am only using 1.295V to hold steady at 4.5Ghz, got lucky with me chip I thinks.

20. finch-beast

i don't know if i folded 10 wu because i started folding with my ps3 first but i'm using the passkey. currently i'm at 4.5ghz, 1.368v, 70dCelcius. what load line level have you set in your bios TaRkA DaHl or is it just enable/disable?