1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Manufacturer repair. Anyone gone down that route?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yadda, 10 Oct 2016.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'm in the process if RMAing my mobo and when discussing my options, the possibility of sending it to Asus for repair was mentioned.

I wouldn't normally consider this but I bought the mobo as a grade b item so a replacement isn't an option and they don't have any similar mobos of similar value in stock.

My other option is a refund but I do like this little mobo. Has anyone here had a board repaired by the manufacturer before? Is there any reason not to go down this route?

Cheers.:thumb:

2. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Hi,
    I had a Gigabyte board repaired by them, BIOS chip flash went wrong :)
    New chip soldered in place and all was well. Board still going 4 years later with a C2Q 3GHz and Win10...

All the best
    S.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yes this is common for Gigabyte and Asus. Both of them actually repair their products.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

And Foxconn - they tried to repair the Bloodrage that I borked but unfortunately it was beyond repair, so they returned it to me (some weeks later) in much the same condition.

All I would say is you'll be in for a long wait, assuming it goes to the far reaches of the solar system where Asus boards are made.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'd go for a refund. Have a search for Asus warranty and repair (not that specifically, but you get the idea) on the forum before making your decision.

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Thanks for the replies, guys.

From a quick look around the web, it seems that I could be in for a very long wait if I opt to send it to Asus, with no guarantee that I won't get sent a flip-flop and a broken flapjack in the end. :(

Regrettably then, it looks like I'm in the market for another mobo.

Cheers.

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

My Asus P55 took about a month IIRC, OCUK organised it all for me. Board was switched with another but it's still going now and it resolved a DPC latency issue that I had with the old board and my creative headset.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Cheers Loftie. It's OCUK that I'm dealing with too and they were very good when I contacted them to be fair.

9. Vault-Tec

IIRC they are in Croatia? somewhere like that. Not sure if that has changed but yeah, you're talking 6 weeks + sometimes.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

My 290X Plat is with Asus atm.

Bout 3 weeks it has been now.

Not a quick service.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

My repair was, at a guess, 4 years ago though so things could have changed :p

12. Vault-Tec

That's quite quick. Asus used to have a service where you paid something like £20 and they then had it collected and shipped to Croatia (or Czech Repub, it's one of those two) and then shipped it back to you when it was done. That was if your retailer had thrown a seven and disappeared and you were still in warranty.

Obs if your retailer was OCUK they would have done that part for you :)

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Cheers guys, it's now winging its way back to OCUK and I'm eyeing up potential replacement mATX or ITX boards.

I'll get there eventually but must admit, I'm missing the computer quite a lot now. :sigh: