1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Smoking voids Apple warranties

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

As a PC tech, I think this is a great idea. I hate working on smokers machines.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i have had laptops come in before that absolutely stink i completely agree with apple on this one

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Xen0, that is all nice, but unless it is written in warranty description that smoking voids the warranty then what they do is illegal.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Independently if you like it or not, if there's nothing stated in Warranty Agreement, then they should work on the PC IMHO. Nothing a health-care worker's mask won't solve.

The only difficulty is obtaining the mask, with all the nut-jobs thinking it'll save them from the flu. But that's another story.

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

What about the bio-hazard from infected people bringing their laptops in for maintenance? Or the infected ones in Apple stores! Run for the safe house!

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Right to not work on the units, wrong to omit it from TACs

8. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

Somewhere in the forums there are pictures from the inside of a smokers machine, truly disgusting. I guess it should be in the warranty info, but at the same time legally they could probably throw it in under the part where if you break it yourself, its not their problem. Residue from cigs is probably harder to remove than just blowing off dust as well.

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Yes. They cannot refuse. If they've updated the terms for support and repair, they should say it out loud now :

"If you're a smoker, don't buy apple. We won't repair it, even under warranty".

like to see how many reporters and graphics designers etc will give up their Macs now.....

10. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Curry powder laptop nearly made me vomit... cancer sticks are ANTI social - ul smokers!

11. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I smoke myself but never near my PC, having worked on a few machines used by heavy smokers I can't blame apple, I had one that was completely gunged up, yellow/orange layer of thick sticky dust all over, made me puke. Can't blame them but they really should update their t&c's and make customers aware of it before purcahse to cover their own arses.

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Serves you right for buying a Mac... to avoid getting clusterfvcked in the future.... by a PC

13. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

The Apple warranty states:

The warranty does not apply: (d) to damage caused by accident, ABUSE, misuse, flood, fire, yadda yadda yadda.

Ergo; smoking near the machine and knowingly (come on, everyone knows smoking leaves it's dirt on everything surrounding it) clogging up the machine's internals with cigeratte smoke/yuckiness could be argued as a case of abuse of the machine and therefore Apple are well within their own terms to refuse to fix the machines.

It's akin to regularly dumping the machine into a septic tank, arguably.

Simples.

14. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

Depends on your perspective really - you could also argue damage caused by smoking is self inflicted, and therefore no different to knocking a glass of OJ into the equipment - and the warranty doesn't cover that either.

Personally having taken apart the computer owned by one of my older relatives that still smokes I can't blame them, the interior of that machine was possibly one of the most disgusting things I have ever had to work ok :(

15. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

One simple solution is to block the intake fans, that way no smoke can get in. done.

16. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

Well, generally they don't when they're not abused.

Yeah, because buying a stylish, generally powerful piece of hardware that runs a sublime OS that delivers a user experience much greater than that of Windows, particularly for new computer users, makes them pretentious w**kers.

Grow up.

17. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

OK, what if your girlfriend smokes, you use your apple in the same room as her then something unrelated happens to your apple mac.

apple should be ashamed of themselves this is just worming out of warranties and this sort of behaviour is what scares me most about apple becoming more popular.

(typing this from a mac but not near a smoker, thankfully)

18. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Are you saying there is nothing written in the warranty that says something similiar to "caused by the user"?

19. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

Tetchy arn't we :)

Apples do break, there not as reliable as "you people" make out (just have a quick search on google). Also style is of individual preference (unless your a sheep of course).

Apple products are vastly overpriced, lets buy a £1000 Mac and a £1000 PC and lets see what has the most "powerful hardware" shall we?

Personally I don't like the MacOS but its alright I suppose, I'll be sticking to Debian/WinXP to be honest.

20. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

"experiencing problems with overheating - caused, more than likely, by smoke residue gumming up the fan and covering the heatsinks"

This is the fundamental issue with the rejections. Using health as a reason ... yeah right, you can side swipe that and bring it down to the computers going wrong due to NEGLIGENCE. I was a smoker for a couple of decades and practically chained in front of my computers but NEVER was I such a dirty ******* that my fans got clogged up with tar/reidues from smoking. The sad sacks that were rejected deserved it. Dirty *******s.

Tags: Add Tags