1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Newegg goes live in the UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Might just sign up see how they go against Amazon

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Due to political reasons I'll be avoiding them.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2014
  4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Once you add shipping, it isn't cheaper at all.

Now, this is not a representative sample by any means, but I just checked the price of hard drives. The only HDDs they sell globally are Seagate, and a 2Tb drive will set you back £53.74 - cheaper than Scan or Amazon (£59.87 and £63.53 respectively).

The problem is shipping: obviously, if you're a BT member, you get free shipping from Scan; you can get free shipping from Amazon too. From Newegg, you have to pay an additional £10.76 for shipping, with another £12.66 for tax & import duty. That brings the total price up to £77.16

At that price, there's no way the trial will be able to compete if they're shipping everything from the US. It's doomed to failure before they've even started.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah, I had assumed they would actually be doing stuff in the UK, rather than just adding limited international shipping.

Had a quick look at a couple of items, got excited by decent prices, even adding some quick rough tax amounts in my head, but once shipping goes on as well sadly they don't seem to be able to compete.

6. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

Unfortunately the filter doesn't work. Added a graphics card to my basket using the Global Eligible filter and it was auto removed for not being eligible :p

Here's hoping this becomes a decent competitor in the UK component sales, though there will need to be some serious deals to compete against my lifetime free Scan next day delivery (thanks for that bit tech btw :D)

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I have high hopes for this in the future but for now I'll stick with the regular component suppliers and impeccable as ever Amazon.

Dave Lister: What political reasons are you referring to? What could possibly be political about an online retail chain? Also do != due.

8. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Think i'll be sticking with Amazon!

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I can't see this being remotely competitive if they're going to be shipping everything from the US...

10. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Its an american company and spending dosh with them will just help (indirectly) fund the american war machine. So i'm out.

From all the comments i've read today it doesn't sound like they are very competitive anyway.

11. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

"Auto Removed Items
    Shipment to the country you have selected is not available for the following item(s)."

Hmmm

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I see from your signature that you've bought components from AMD, Corsair, Kingston and Intel; you know that they're all US companies too, right?

13. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Yes I do Gareth, I bought all that lot before I'd read anything about U.S warmongering around the world and before I really cared about politics. Its pretty sad there are no other nations producing x86 cpu's as I am planning a new build in the summer :(

14. Gareth Halfacree

Fair play, and good on you for having firmly-held principles. If you want to truly stick to them, you could pick up a VIA x86 chip (China) or make the move to an ARM-compatible OS and have a range of non-US chipmakers to choose from.

'Course, if you're building the rig to game on Windows, then aye; you're pretty much SOL if you want a non-US CPU source.

15. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I didn't even realize VIA made x86 chips ! I'm guessing they can't compete (performance wise) with Intel & AMD. And yes I was planning on a windows based machine although i'm open to using linux if gaming takes off properly on it.

16. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

17. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, but you must either be ~10 years old, or lived under a rock your entire life. What about all the Chinese products you own- China is a massive war monger too with ideas of taking over half the Indonesian area of the Pacific & associated islands, not to mention the 'issue' with Tibet. Shouldn't you boycott their products too?

Then again, lets not forget the UK's 'special relationship' with the USA ( where the yanks go to war, we tend to follow after all ), so you should stop buying British products too.

To put things into perspective for you, most countries political systems are rotten, full of greedy war mongers who are only interested in lining their pockets with arms deals and the like- boycotts will achieve very little at the human level, you need total reform of the entire system and a change of attitude towards fellow human beings; we'll wipe ourselves out long before that day comes...

Unicorn likes this.
  18. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I agree with everything you say apart from me being 10 ! lol. However the US is the biggest threat to any country on the planet and the planet itself. US military spending far exceeds china, russia middle east or anywhere else. US politicians don't know how to say no to bribe money which leads to the inevitable problem of needing to keep adding more to the war chest. Adding more to the war chest means they need to be able to have an imminent threat from elsewhere, which is why they keep destabilizing other nations (The Ukraine being the latest so they can cutout the middleman between Russia and the EU).

19. coyote

coyote What's a Dremel?

No chance, US based, shipping/handling far too dear and I have no wish to spend any more money in the US than is necessary. With their world police attitude and I'm not just talking about their military.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

As an American who uses Newegg nearly every time I want a new PC, I'd like to point out that unlike most stores, Newegg's shipping prices are only poor if you only buy 1 or 2 things at a time. As long as items come from the same warehouse and can be packaged together, the shipping becomes much more reasonable. However, I haven't bought bulk items from newegg in several years so I'm not sure if that still applies. Newegg at one point has made deals with UPS (much like Amazon) to help make shipping more attractive to customers, but I'm not sure if that still holds up.