1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclocking Intel CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cryp, 2 Jul 2008.

1. cryp

cryp What's a Dremel?

Hi

After I did some research, I found out that overclocking my cpu is possible even though I have an Intel mobo which is locked (can't overclock from BIOS).

I read in some forums that other people overclocked their cpus (they have an Intel mobo) using the software SetFSB.
    I found my mobos (DP965LT) PLL in this site: http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/ so I can start overclocking (I think).

The main reason I want to oc my cpu is that I think it's bottlenecking my gpu.
    If I oc to 2.6 or 2.8 would it reduce the bottleneck so I will not loose performance?
    Another thing, can it be done without changing the cpu voltage?

Thx

Specs
    CPU: E6600 @ 2.4GHz
    MOB: Intel DP965LT
    RAM: 2x1GB DDR2 667MHz
    GPU: Leadtek 9800GTX
    HDD: Western Digital 250GB
    PSU: Topower TOP-650P5 650W
    MON: BenQ LCD 17" @ 1280x1024
    CASE: CoolerMaster 690

2. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Can't overclock from the BIOS... ouch!

That aside, with a 9800GTX the CPU is probably where your bottleneck will be, though it shouldn't be to bad. Bringing that dual core up to about 3ghz should handle any game fine - but that won't be possible without a voltage increase.

You might get to 2.6Ghz, but as an indicator to take my Q6600 from 2.4Ghz to 3Ghz needs the voltage upped from 1.15V to 1.25V It'd never be stable without the extra juice..

You could get a new, cheap motherboard that will overclock, I've heard good things about the Gigabyte P31-D3SL. Otherwise, I don't know anything about Intel boards...

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Yea, it's pretty bad if you can't OC from the BIOS...

Those overclocking programs work about fine but they have their limitations, as they can only change the FSB clock. So you can't lock the PCI-E and PCI clocks down so you'll propably fry any add-in cards. Also there's no way to change the FSB:Memory ratio. And voltages of course :(

So your best bet is just to buy a cheap new mobo as he^ said.

4. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

I did use SetFSB some years ago, but I found it more trouble that it was worth, the system would freeze quite often etc...

There is not real alternative to overclocking from within the BIOS, the Gigabyte P31-D3SL is a very good budget motherboard, or if you can spare a bit more cash, either a Gigabyte GA P35 DS3 or DS3L...
    ________
    VAPORIZERS

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  5. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Or if you like Asus - ASUS P5K Premium - awesome board in my opinion the best of the P35's...

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have an E6600 with 667MHz ram which all run fine with no voltage increase at 334MHz fsb. The memory is on 1:1 I think (so is at a whopping overclock of 1MHz) and the processor is just over 3GHz.

7. turner23x

turner23x What's a Dremel?

I can the same CPU and mobo, couldnt OC from BIOS which sucks, Im gonna see what else i can do
    frogger

Last edited: 27 Jan 2011
  8. Deders

Deders Modder

You'd be surprised at how much you can get out of these cards with enough cpu power

Tags: