1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Problem URGENT (sort of fixed)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookeyhead, 15 Dec 2010.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Just got a new Mobo.. a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0

It won't post when SATA is set to AHCI.. it just hangs on this screen.

[​IMG]

HELP!!!

Drive is a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB. Connected to the ICH10 controller on device 0. There are no other HDDs connected.

There are also 2 SATA DVD drives connected, but it makes no difference whether they are connected or not.

If I set it to IDE mode, all is well.. it posts and tries to boot... but set to AHCI mode... it hags on this screen.

Please help!

Last edited: 16 Dec 2010
  2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Try it on another SATA controller. the board has 3 different types if you look at the manual.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If you have a hard drive connected that has had Windows 7 on it previously, is the system partition still present?

I had this problem with a P43 Gigabyte board and I had to remove all partitions in Disk Management first.

4. Pookeyhead

Yes, old partition still present, but that is probably not the reason, as it doesn't even get as far as booting.

5. Pookeyhead

Tries to boot just fine as soon as I unplug the HDD... with the F3 pugged in, it hangs on the above screen unless set to IDE mode.

Is this a known issue with this drive and board?

I wish I'd got another Asus now!

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Well it did exactly that with me until I removed the system partition, it wouldn't boot, just hung. Got anything to lose trying it?

7. Pookeyhead

Nope... but I can't format it, because I can't boot the machine with the drive connected! Even when set to boot from CDROM... it still hangs on this screen when teh drive is connected, so I can't format the damned thing!

[edit]

I left it on that screen while posting on here on my wife's rig, and when I want back, it had past that screen. When I restart... it's now fine. It's as if once it';s done whatever it was doing, it's fine now... it just took about 25 minutes to do it!

I'll post back if I have further issues

Thanks

8. Pookeyhead

Nope... I thought it was OK... but it wasn't actually plugged in. Plugged it back in.. same problem.

Formatted the drive by fitting it in a eSATA enclosure and used my wife's rig... still won't work, so nothing to do with a partition on it.

It just won't work with a hard drive plugged in.

SO close to smashing the damned thing... piece of crap! My initial impression of this board is not good so far

[edit]

It's only with the F3. The Seagate drive is fine, and the F1 is fine.. just the F3!

Any ideas?

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My mobo never POSTs when set to AHCI. Dunno what causes it, and I CBA to find out :)

10. Pookeyhead

Wiped the drive with the secure wipe facility from the Acronis recovery CD. Seems OK now.

Bloody weird.

Panic over.... I think

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I've got the same board and the 1tb F3 . Mine is set to IDE by default. If you want I'll put up a screen shot of my bios so you can use that as a base to work from. Also I found that this modo doesn't like HDD's set up as dynamic drives. Has to be a simple volume.

12. Pookeyhead

I want ACHI for hot plugging.

Simple volume drive.. still wont work

Now it wont even boot from the windows DVD.... all I get is "Press any Key for Xpress Recovery 2"

WTF???

I swear.. this board is a steaming pile of crap!

I'm putting my P6T back in... even faulty it beats this heap of garbage!

[edit]

Windows installing! Had to boot from Win DVD with no hard drive connected, then connect... then load drivers from the Gigabyte DVD.... LOL... welcome to the past!

I swear.. My Asus... just plugged everything in, and it worked. I thought we were past the days of 3 hours arsing about getting devices to talk to one another, and loading drivers at windows install. This board better be damned good once up and running to make this worthwhile!

Last edited: 15 Dec 2010
  13. bulldogjeff

There was a bad batch of these mobo's about a while back 23RO_UK had three go through RMA before getting a working example, which ironically now lives in my rig after my P6TD Deluxe packed up. Was it the P6 that was giving all the aggro with the cores or the chip itself?

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Pookey, I have Gigabyte X58A-UD5 rev 2.0
    It's very close board from the UD3R. Sorry to hear you have problems with your first Gigbayte motherboard. It's never a good first impression.

I have my SATA controller set to AHCI and it works flawlessly. I have a Western Digital HDD.
    And your the first with this issue on this forum or recent post on Gigabyte forum.

Other than the CPU voltages: can you try and replicate these BIOS settings:
    http://helpweaver.com/BIOS.html
    Ignore any BSOD note that I added, a BIOS update solved it.
    Can you also try a different SATA cable, maybe it's broken.

So far, it doesn't sound like it's a Gigbayte board design flaw, but a Intel chipset manufacture problem with it's first PCI-E (where the additional SATA controllers are attached) and internal SATA controller.
    However, it's very unlikely. My vote is that it's the drive. Maybe it has some old firmware which has a bug. Basically what is happening, is that the HDD is unable to tell the SATA controller "I am ready! - I am a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB, and I kick-ass!" So the SATA controller s just waits... and waits.. For the SATA controller, it thinks that the HDD is spinning up, so it waits. Granted the 25min timeout from the SATA controller is a bit excessive, but that is out of hands from Gigabyte.

Be sure to disable all SATA controller not in use.

At the same time, just to get a solution as fast as possible:
    http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?board=5.0

Last edited: 15 Dec 2010
  15. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Its the drive.

Funny had no issues running mine achi......

16. Pookeyhead

OK.... windows on... all seems well.

One remaining PITA.

Verifying DMA Data pool takes AGES on boot up... at least 15 seconds. Anyone else have this?

17. bulldogjeff

This ones easy. Load up easy 6 from the mobo disc and set it to quick boot. it reduced my boot times by about 50%:D

18. Pookeyhead

You mean Easytune 6? I put that on... can't see a quickboot option.

19. bulldogjeff

sorry my fault, it's called smart 6, I was close..lol

20. Pookeyhead

Makes no difference. It's still in BIOS when it verifies DMI pool data... it hasn't started booting yet.