1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU normal cpu, dual core, quad core I'm lost

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryu_ookami, 14 Nov 2008.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Ok I'm not sure if this is in the right section but bit-tech seems to have spawned so many sections that I figured some one would read it and be able to help.

I'm trying to decide if I should get a cheap (as cheap as possible) dual core systemat present I have

P4 3GHZ CPU that apparently a second core from what I've been told something about hyper-threading ? if that makes any sense

2 GB PC3200 DDR

256mb ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series (at least that's what device manager says anyway)

a Asrock P4i65G motherboard.

I had planned on updating the graphics card next but some one I know has just said that updating the graphics card is pointless as the next upgrade after that would be a motherboard and that would mean that I had to get a whole new system due to the pci-e slot, newer memory etc?

So what do you think upgrade the GFX card or try and get a cheap new system

The pc is mainly used for guild wars and downloading etc but its shortly going to be used for hammering left 4 dead on a regular basis however next year (september) I start a university degree in Computer Game Design so it would need to be able to deal with that but I have been told that I'd be able to get a new pc cheaper via the university when I start so I'm kinda of dithering as to do I or don't I get a new system so basically HELP!!!!!

Last edited: 15 Nov 2008
  2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I would recommend buying a new motherboard with a socket 775 dual/quad core and 2 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM. As for the graphics card, if your going to be playing new games I would get a new one. But as long as your current card is PCI-E you can keep using until you get a new one.

Pentiums weren't really dual cores, hyperthreading just means that the single core could process two threads at the same time. I do believe the new i7's use it as well.

I'd get a quad core for the upgrade because I think you would benefit from the multiple cores when doing game design. Although dual core's are clocked higher. It's really up to you on that front.

3. Ryu_ookami

current card is AGP

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, if it isn't going to be used in the near future, why update now? Save your money, and when you graduate you'll be able to get a way better system for the same cost...

5. Ryu_ookami

I don't start the degree until next September and then it lasts 4 years or thereabouts so waiting until I graduate is not an option.

6. klutch4891

7. Ryu_ookami

To be honest I was looking at something like this.

Possible choice

then adding a Pci-e GFX Card and expanding the memory especially as it holds up to 16GB's og memory only other other thing that I would need to get would be an IDE adaptor as I like my IDE drives.

/runs and hides from the flames that are due to be sent via the sata lovers.

8. 5hadow

5hadow What's a Dremel?

Are you sure you will get a discounted PC through uni? I am not sure about that (someone correct me if I am wrong). When I was at uni about 3 years back I did not hear any such thing.

Even if you do get a discounted PC, I am sure that you will be able to make a better PC yourself for the same price or similar PC for less money. My advice would be to build a completely new system or ....... :idea: just buy a XBOX for your gaming needs.

HTH.

9. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

We don't get any discounts on pc's at my uni, and I've not heard of that before either. I reckon for £500 you can end up with something perfectly reasonable. Q6600, 4Gb ram, 4850 if you can stretch to it.

RwD

10. klutch4891

That's not a bad deal but won't it be a bit underpowered for game design? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I know nothing about game design.

11. Ryu_ookami

ok my bad the discounted PC isn't from the university its from the LEA of whatever area you are in.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

May I ask which uni? I'm still a good 2 or 3 years away before I have to make the choice but I might as well do the research now as I'm pretty sure I want to go into Games Design.

As for your computer, I'd contact the uni and ask what they offer; I'd probably buy it from them TBH.

13. Ryu_ookami

Suffolk campus its a new university in Ipswich spread over 4 or 5 campuses.

14. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

15. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

That's a shame. Canadian universities offer discounts on PC/Mac's through a student incentive program either through the University directly or they contact you with the manufacturer.

For example for me: I can go to Apple's website, select "Student" version, it'll ask for my school. I select if from a list and then enter my student number to confirm that it exists/active student. Takes it about 3-5 seconds to verify and then pushes you to a student.apple.ca page that has different prices. Usually 15-25% below what a regular Joe would pay. Refurb stuff is also a lot cheaper.

For regular PC's, we just do it through the University's book store directly. Same with software, the campus has an on-site PC store (owned by the Uni) that sells student versions of Mac/Windows software at discounted prices.

Alternatively you can also get software through the developer directly, like Adobe which uses a similar system to Apple and lets me purchase items directly at far lower prices. $99 Photoshop and whatnot.

16. slap-o-mite

slap-o-mite What's a Dremel?

best bang for buck is the Q9650 it's an overclockers dreamboat & Intel is gonna quit making then soon as they don't want to compete with the new i7's with gem of a chip .. 4ghz is easy as pie !! with a Q9650

17. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

What are you talking about? That thing costs $600 dude! That's the budget for the whole rig!

And you can get a Q9450 or a Q9550 for much cheaper and get it to high clocks aswell.

That ain't gonna get you far. That was low tech even a couple of years back. Okay maybe not, but c'mon, three generations old integrated graphics!? And they say it's a GAMING system?!?!

18. Ryu_ookami

well I'd be buying a pci-e card and 4GB of memory from ebuyer so the integrated graphics wouldn't be a problem.

19. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 £158.61
    Gainward ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB £135.11
    Abit IP35 Pro £110
    Corsair TX 650W £82.24
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB (WD6400AAKS) £50.51
    Antec Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case £41.11
    Kingston HyperX 2GB (1x2GB) £25.84
    Samsung 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter £15.26

had a bit of spare time this morning i would wait until jan for jan sales but you cant go wrong with the above couple that with a bti of shopping around for deals and you could fairly easily drop 70 - 100 quid off that ( i know that the q6600 should be ~ 20 30 quid cheaper after christmas)