1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 10/mbps Internet fast?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DorkSterr, 13 Mar 2009.

1. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Hello guys I just subscribed to a 10/mbps Internet and I was just wondering if this looks right to you.

I download a lot of stuff using torrents (I admit it i know :miffed:) I noticed my downloads were going much faster then before, but I am not happy with it still it seems a little slow for 10mbps, I am only getting a speed downloads of 830/kbps-1mbps downloads does this seem correct? I thought 10mbps internet means 10mbps downloads also? whats the deal?:wallbash:

2. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

Where are you getting those download ratings? if its from your torrent client then chances are they are in megabytes and kilobytes per second, where as your ISP connection speed will be 10 megabits per second.

10 megabits per second is roughly 1.2 megabytes per second, so your down stream speed sounds pretty much spot on :thumb: wish my net was that quick...

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

10Mbps = 1.25MBps. If you're seeing download speeds around a megabyte per second, then everything's fine. If it's a megabit per second, something is up.

Try speedtest.net - that measures in megabits, just like ISPs.

4. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

So speedtest.net measures megabits right? My download results are 5300megabits and up load is like 750 does this make sense?

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

5. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

I WIN!!:p

[​IMG]

o sorry and to answer your question no your results are not 5300 and 750 megabits. that from speedtest says your getting like .7 megabytes for upload and like 6.5 for download

6. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

So is my results correct for 10mbps ISP?

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I find speedtest crap. Other than that your speeds seem pretty much what it should be. :)

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

If your 10mbs line were to be 100% efficient you would get a speed of 10,240kbs
    No line is 100% efficient due to overheads at the exchange, the quality of your internal wiring and increased noise the further you are away from the exchange.
    You are getting a speed of 6,449kbs, roughly 63% of the max stated speed, this is somewhat normal for your service (depending upon the factors mentioned).