1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals USB issue following board/CPU change

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ModSquid, 2 Aug 2011.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hi guys - hoping you can help with an issue that appears to be related to drivers following an upgrade from an AMD board to an Intel one.

We cloned the original IDE system drive in an OEM PC to a new SATA one and changed the board from an Athlon 3200 (I think) and associated board to an Acer board with Intel P4 CPU, reactivated Windows and all was well.

However, although we've managed to use the USB ports to clone the PATA drive to the SATA one, now that we've got the machine running from the SATA drive and removed the PATA one, any USB storage device we plug in (printer is okay) seems to hang whilst unknown processes run in the background.

The access light on the drives flashes, the "bing-bong" sounds from Windows to acknowledge insertion, but then nothing but waiting, followed by a device timeout error. I'm wondering if this is anything to do with cloning an AMD system disk with its different Southbridge drivers to a disk that has then been placed into an Intel setup. Obviously we've updated all Acer and Microsoft drivers as best we can, but we're running out of ideas now.

Can anyone help?

TIA

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Try this

I just changed from AMD based mobo to intel and lost use of all USB ports until i removed the driver, thankfully I can share another PC's mouse and keyboard over network as no PS2 devices

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Just closing off this thread (as hate to see unfinished ones!) - in the end, we managed to "resolve" the issue by plugging a USB hub-equipped monitor in. This was a new device as far as the PC was concerned and for some reason, the drivers got refreshed and ALL USB ports started working normally again.

I hate it when there's no logical solution to a problem, but glad this is now sorted.