1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sponsored/Placed Stories

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by MaverickWill, 4 Dec 2011.

1. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Hi guys,

Just a quick shout to say I've noticed a couple of... "out-of-place" stories come up in the latest article feed. I thought something must be awry, or there was a tech angle I just wasn't getting from the titles. A quick closer look revealed "Sponsored by: Huffington Post" or "Sponsored by: AOL Jobs", to name a couple.

Sponsored links in the bit-tech article feed. Would this be considered "blurring the line between editorial and advertising"?

After the Thermaltake advert in the podcast and this, I'll be considering taking this site off my Adblock white-list. I can't imagine I'll be the only one.

Could someone please let me know if this is an error in the advertising department (which I know has happened before, when risqué/gambling adverts have slipped through the net to land on here), or is this is here to stay?

Many thanks,

Will

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Hi Will

Unfortunately, this is the latest example in a string of ad deals that have been booked across all of Dennis's websites that we (the bit-tech editorial team) don't have any control over.

This despite them appearing in the feed of editorial articles.

I don't like them, but unfortunately in these tough economic times the commerical needs of Dennis take priority over any concerns that we the editorial team have :(

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

James, If I have a complaint, who do I write to?

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'll echo Parge's complaint. No self-respecting journalist wants what they're doing to you guys, but we're tired of them inking deals that destroy the place that our patronage made what it is. Rather than jump you (which would be counterproductive, as well as ill-placed) who can we direct our ire to properly?

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

As I said on Twitter - I want to distance myself from this as much as possible.

These stories are nothing to do with me, I publicly oppose them and was not consulted or made aware of their introduction to the site I am an editor for.

I have voiced my concerns to relative parties and do not like them one bit.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2011
    Zurechial likes this.
  6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Unless they are about games, tech or boobs I'm not clicking on them, I don't live near a subway and I don't know wth candy is o_O

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If they were relevant tech stories I could see the benefit - but something completely unrelated and masked as an article just isn't right.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If it was advertising other dennis sites [PC Pro/Computer Shopper etc] it'd be ok [ish] with me, of it was clear *this is an advert*... but disguising them as news/article posts, that I don;t agree with, on any site.

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

10. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

WOW that at appears a number of times, to be honest I can kind of understand why after all a business needs to make money. But come on there are better ways to do this.

This week I have subscribed to the CPC mag to show my support to Bit-Tech through CPC although it get a feeling that there will only be an increase in adverts like this.

To be honest this community is a mix of people why not get some of these people together to dicuss ways to promote subcribing and ways the members can support Bit-Tech and CPC afterall if they shut this tomorrow where would we all go ......

I hope Denis doesnt rune a good thing and I will be keeping an eye on this during the next three months which will help me decide about my subcription

11. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Thanks for your feedback guys, as I said in my original post I can't do anything about these appalling adverts, but you can find the contact details of our advertising staff on this website: http://www.dennis.co.uk/brands/bit-tech and try getting in contact with them.

12. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

Not meaning to step on toes or tell people how to do their jobs, but doesn't Dennis appreciate the benefit of *targeted* advertising? The adverts will NOT make them money if it alienates the demographic and they go elsewhere.

Give us relevant, useful adverts (If that is what HAS to happen) and we might even thank you for it :)

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I hadn't noticed them before now, but that may be due to the fact that I almost always go straight to the forums. Taking a closer look at the front page, I see a sponsored story about a guy selling candy on the subway. That particular story is featured twice in the "Latest Articles" column. Man, that must be one great story if it appears twice!

Sorry Dennis Publishing, but I expect to see this kind of crap on Yahoo's front page, not on Bit-tech.

14. MaverickWill

Looks like I'm not the only one upset by this, then?

Had a lovely email from a certain Mr A Leather to ask how I was keeping, and to tell me his opinion on these new adverts (hint: he's not over-joyed). Also, he has his Christmas hat on. Huzzah!

I'll be dropping an email to the ads department in the morning. Are there any other Dennis Publishing sites where this is happening?

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Awesome. I now see a sponsored article about a Craigslist ad in which a "mega-billionaire" seeks "hot twin assassins."

In my opinion these sort of articles just do not belong on Bit-tech. Sadly, this is yet another thorn in the growing weed that is Dennis Publishing's takeover of Bit-tech.

16. MaverickWill

To be fair, I don't remember Dennis being anywhere NEAR this back back in the old CPC days. I think it's merely the growing weed that is Dennis Publishing.

17. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

I don't think it is any surprise that the quoted user survey on bit-tech readers views of adverts on the site is from 2008 and not more recent...

In my opinion, these ads reflect negatively on all the editorial staff here. It isn't at all obvious that they are sponsored adverts, in fact I would go as far to say that the intent is to deceive people.

Just an idea, but there is a ready made way to make it known the members here disagree, beyond simply emailing someone who quite clearly doesn't have a clue about the readership's views on adverts ( Dan Hellens dan_hellens@dennis.co.uk )

Multiple threads with appropriate titles in general discussion and project logs which are continually bumped to be the most popular threads on the site, thus being placed directly next to the offending adverts

18. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

^^ Well said.

19. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

This is easily as bad as Skimlinks in the forum was. What's worse is that it's also horribly unfair on the editorial staff.

I've said it before and I've said it again - Dennis buying bit-tech seems to only benefit Dennis and absolutely nobody else.
    How can the suits be this clueless?

20. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Many thanks for the email, just to let you know I have sent an email to voice my concerns this morning .... much love Bit-tech'ers