1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Nexus 10 or other (or wait)?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 14 Feb 2014.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm thinking about getting a Nexus 10 (The Coop have the 32gb model for £290) as I want something newer / faster and bigger than my Galaxy Tab 8.9.

For approximately the same money is there anything better? (I know that the iPad Air is much faster, lighter etc but costs getting on for 50% more)

Also, should I wait for the Nexus 10 2? Reports I've read say that could be 6 months or more away...

Thanks

GK

2. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Personally I never wait and a tablet purchase is such a personal item I'd say go with the one you like the most as you'll be using it.
    Nexus 10 is technically a sound device.

GeorgeK likes this.
  3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

That's not a bad price at all I've got the 7 atm but I'll be getting the 10 myself soon, I would go for it

GeorgeK likes this.
  4. GeorgeK

That was my thought really - you could always wait for newer tech but then you'd never buy anything. The main worry I had was that, whilst some sites say it'll be 6 months until the newer model comes out, some say it'll be much sooner... It is a great price from what I can tell though :)

5. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

There are rumors that Google will be unveiling the new Nexus 10 soon. Perhaps even at the Mobile World Congress at the end of the month, so I would say wait until at least then.

6. GeorgeK

Yeah - I'd read that too... The next site I checked though had it down as Q3 2014 though!

7. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

While it might be announced at the end of the month, it might not be available until q3.

Then again, retailers may be trying to shift stock in preparation for the next one.

Either way, it's a pretty good price and I'd snap it up if I needed a 10" tab.

GeorgeK likes this.
  8. GeorgeK

I think I'll go for it - I've even got the permission of SWMBO!

9. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Released more than six months after it's announced? I'm thinking probably not. And as far as I know, Google is running out of stock as well. It's been out of stock for days on end a few times recently, leading me to believe that the shifting of stock has long since begun.

GeorgeK likes this.
  10. GeorgeK

That's what I was thinking... I still think I'm going to go for a current gen Nexus 10 though as (a) I won't be able to afford the price of a new one (rumors have it at about £50 above the current price which would be at least £350-£400). I was thinking that it might drive the price of the current gen down a bit but I can't see them dropping below the co-op's price of £290...

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

You could take a gamble with a lesser known brand, like this: Novatech

Sam

GeorgeK likes this.
  12. GeorgeK

Thanks for all the suggestions guys - I've gone ahead and ordered the Nexus 10 from the co-op - it'll be here on Wednesday :) I'll be sure to post my thoughts when it arrives :)

Rep all round!

13. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

not to pee on your chips or anything, but Scan has the nexus 10 for £190 refurbished, and £238 open box.

Might be worth your while cancelling the co-op order and grabbing it there off their today only page.

14. GeorgeK

Yeah I saw those - I had a bad experience a while ago ordering something that was "As new, open box" as it blatantly wasn't new and trying to get a refund caused more hassle than it was worth and so I tend to avoid those sort of 'offers' (this wasn't from scan mind but even still)

Thanks anyway

15. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

wait make sure you do not need flash or are OK with rooting and hacking flash support back in! When Adobe stopped supporting flash on Android they really crippled the device. I know there are better things then flash out, but sadly a lot of companies still use it. Even for things like booking flight tickets and such(not just video steams). So IMO if you do not require android apps then a MS tablet with windows is much more flexible. Even the non X86 ones support flash and will do for a long time as MS will make sure as they are heavily invested in the B2B market.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

There are browsers with flash on Android that i use when needed, it s not supported by chrome.

17. GeorgeK

Thanks mate but I'm all good - I've had quite a few Android devices now and know what they can and can't do :thumb: Although there are flash browsers as sandys said :)

18. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

If you know a good one let me know so far on my S4 every one i have tried rapes my battery, I am guessing its a no hardware acceleration thing.

19. GeorgeK

20. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

cheers mate :D