1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Who is still using a CRT?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGreatSatan, 6 Oct 2011.

1. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Who is still using a CRT as their primary monitor? It seems like every day I turn the TV on and someone still has a CRT. Do you?

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

As a primary? No. Since I built my first pc 6 years ago, I've had an lcd. The family pc however has only had a new lcd in the past 3 years or so. I've still got one as a backup in case a monitor dies on one of our two pc's in the house. It's come in handy before. What do you watch where people have crt monitors on there? heh.

Doh..thought there was another prize to be given away and posted :naughty: :( j/k

3. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Every time I see anyone on a computer on TV these days it's invariably a Mac.

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I do run a Silicon graphics (SGI) 21" CRT at work.

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

I've got a CRT 32" TV

6. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Exactly. That's so annoying because Macs make up maybe 5% of all homes/businesses

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Nope. Ditched CRTs back in 2003 as they were too fat. Since then I've been using IPS LCDs.

EDIT: I used to use a Dell (which was a re-badged Sony Trinitron) 19" CRT at 1600x1200. It was great, for the time.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2011
  8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

have 2 crts left.. had 3 but gave one away- they are both in storage

those sony trinitrons were some bad ass monitors

9. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

Haha, that's too true! But it's always nice to see time to time that someone actually uses Lenovo/IBM PCs/laptops for real business use.

And more on the topic, not me... :D Just few days ago got used 20" Dell, for very cheap (40€) :) Has little back light issue, leaking light little bit from the top. But not too bad, I can watch movies still on it etc. Though soon going to buy 24" HPs/Dells or 27" Dell(s). We'll see, just have to start and finish my table project first :p Then get the displays for it :) (Alert! Bad project log coming towards the end of this year, propably?)

[​IMG]

10. GuilleAcoustic

That too, my tv is a 13 years old Thomson black diva 100Hz 32" CRT tv :D (costed 2K€ in 1998).

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Is a CRT meant to better than LCD or something. I can remember trying to move a 32" tv and it weighed a ton and I couldn't fit my arms round it :D

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Nope. I used to have a lovely 17" Dell CRT. Got it in 1999 when 17" was considered big haha. The only CRT I have now is a 15" (from 1994, the thing is OLD) for my Amiga 1200 .

13. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

CRT is old tech and been around way longer than LCD stuff.

It actually has better colour accuracy though than most cheap monitors and response times are near 0. However I doubt you can buy CRT stuff new outside of some niche application nowadays.

14. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Snap, except I had the E773c, goldfish bowl but used the least power of any monitor I had. Now my Mum's got it. Then I inherited a 32inch Philips widescreen for movie watching, also from 1994. I'm only hanging on to it because I don't have £300 plus change for the home cinema amp and speaker set, and its Pro-Logic Speakers do well enough with movies.

Strange to have only had a TFT for a year but it's definitely transition time, would never have another CRT but I'm keeping my oldest 14" TV around for retro console gaming possibilities down the line as it's nice and small.

15. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Took way too long, changed in 2007 from a nasty 19" beige thing.

Were there any 16:9 CRT monitors of a high resolution? I don't recall ever seeing one.

16. GuilleAcoustic

neither did I ... I think they where all 4:3 (maybe some professionnal grade monitor). Even the SGi I'm using is 4:3 (I did have IIyama vision master pro, Sun, NEC monitors ... all where 4:3)

17. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Got an old 17" CRT in the spare room awaiting disposal*- works fine for the want of a power lead, but couldn't even give the thing away when I tried. I do have a 26" CRT TV though that I will replace with a nice 32-36" LCD item when it dies eventually ( pointless to replace it at the moment as I still can't find a job and it works fine ).

*fireworks... :D

18. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

A what?

Its a subconscious thing now, but every time I see someone using a CRT I immediately discredit them for using such dated tech.

DIE CRT, DIE ALREADY.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I have an extra one in the basement incase someone's LCD monitor dies. My families computer used have have a CRT until I upgraded to my U2410

20. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

I have an ancient Sony and a Dell - one for my Amiga 2000 the other is sat on my media server... very rarely switched on these days.

dunx