1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Room redecoration and new PC build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Huge, 25 Jul 2011.

1. Huge

Huge aka Dave

[​IMG]

First I'd like to ask that this is moved to the right sub-forum if it's in the wrong one.

I am an Engineering student doing a summer internship. My earnings are being spent in two areas: my car (classic mini cooper) and my room (plus pc).

[​IMG]

I previously had very little space in my little room to have any decent sort of desk. Thus I have never had much of a decent computer set up. This summer I had a brainwave and removed the door from the cupboard in the corner of my room that wasted so much of my floor space. With that gone I could move the bed to where the door used to open thus creating a large space to house a large desk. Here are a couple of quick sketchups to show how things were:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I moved the bed to check how things would look:

[​IMG]

Looks fine to me, I can still access my shirts and use the shelves, and with the extra space available I was free to design my perfect desk, then look out for the closest match on ebay that I could get nice and cheaply. Here was my final design:

[​IMG]

Soon after deciding on the above I came across the Ikea Galant Desk in oak, it was local and without much interest but it was a corner desk just as I wanted. The only thing it lacked was the length on the left hand arm to reach my bed, but for only £20 I jumped for it. The journey home was interesting (half the desk was out the back of the little hatchback my Dad owns so I had to sit in the back holding it in for the 6 mile journey home!). I'm extremely pleased with the desk as it's in perfect condition and at 10% of it's value (costs over £200 brand new). Here is a picture of it just after setting it up:

[​IMG]

It was at this point that I seriously started considering buying a new computer. As an engineering student I do some 3D design, I do casual gaming and I rely completely on my computer for much of my uni work. My laptop was showing the stress of two years of constant use (and poorly designed cooling) and was starting to fall off the pace. As such I came up with the following build which is currently still just an idea (as I have only bought the graphics card so far). I am waiting to decide on a couple more components before I put the orders in later this week.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K (£163.40)
    GPU: XFX HD 6870 Black (£126.82, purchased)
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 (£63.79)
    Board: Asus P8P67-M PRO Rev3 (105.20)
    PSU: Antec 520W (£53.58)
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB (£29.88) + 500GB (already own) in RAID 0
    Case: Silverstone FT03 (£122.73)
    Optic: Slimline DVD player (~£30)
    Total Price: (so far) £696.40

Today I received one package. Very exciting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As mentioned above, I am currently doing a summer internship and my desk at work has three monitors. It was the inspiration for my bedroom if I'm honest, below is a picture of that set up:

[​IMG]

Wow, three monitors just for an internship - I was hooked. Once again I was back to ebay looking for my ideal monitor set up - two 19" monitors and a widescreen monitor that was the same height. I found out that the Dell 2209WA was the same height as the Dell 19"FPs so I looked for and found a decent priced 2209WA. I happened to be climbing a mountain when the item finished and I had left my bid very late, thankfully I had great reception that high up and I successfully made my bid and £92.50 later I had part one of the monitor set up sorted. Then I found someone selling his ex-wife's computer set up locally for £30 (including a Dell 1906FP) so I grabbed that and stuck it next to my 22".

It wasn't long before I stretched my budget again. In fact I already own another 19" Viewsonic monitor (but it's silver - can't have that next to my nice black Dells!) and I hope to be the owner of three more Dell 1908FPs before the week is out. Now before you all think I've completely lost it, my graphics card is rumoured to support 4 monitors, my Dad is considering having a second monitor to sit next to his 24" BenQ and my brother is still using my Viewsonic - I'll only have four monitors if I win the bid, and it is rumoured that my graphics card can handle all four at once. Let's hope the rumours are true!

This brings us nearly up to date. There is a gap of 108cm between my desk and my bed. This is filled with two of the old cabinets I already had in my room and I guess they fill the gap quite nicely, but that wasn't good enough for me. More searching on ebay and I managed to turn up a 120cm Ikea Galant Desk (straight this time, not a corner version), also in oak and the correct depth, for again only £20. What a waste of that storage though! OK ebay, what have you got hidden away for me this time? After a few days searching I struck gold, someone was selling 20 metal cabinets (with a filing cabinet style bottom drawer), 60cm deep (just like the desk) for only £12 each. Got on the blower and arranged for a mate of mine to pick two of them up for me and I should have them later this week. The desk will be cut down to size and I'll shorten and re-weld the metal frame accordingly.

So... what will all this look like? Here are my sketchups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone's interested in my little project let me know and I'll keep this thread updated. I can't wait for the next parts to turn up.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2012
  2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Seems like a very clever use of space in what looks to be a very awkward shaped room.

Gonna be good, looks like your a bit of a bargain hunter as well, just like me, love a good bargain :).

3. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks. I'm all about the bargains, wouldn't have half of what I have no without them. I remember my first try of ebay, I bought a leather wallet for 99p about 5 years ago - still use it now. Just got to know when a deal is too good - something my brother needs to learn.

4. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

personally I think your going to end up not liking that 4th monitor/not really needing it, but what do I know

5. Huge

Huge aka Dave

As I say above, I have three monitors at work and often find I wish I had a fourth. Granted I will probably very rarely use the extra desktop space but it is there when I need it. The extra monitors not being used can always be switched off.

6. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Your room plan looks nice. I had a problem with small room myself before I moved out from my parents place. Still, looking closely what you manage to do, the beginning looks good. :thumb:

Oh, and nice car! Treat her well ;)

7. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

very good planning =) i've searched ebay a lot too, but i lives in the wrong edge of the world... too little people live here to find anything thats even remotely local... =P

8. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Thanks. This is my room at my parent's house. I'm actually rarely there as I spend most of my time at uni during the year but I'm so glad I'm making these changes. And thanks, I love her! Got a fair bit to do over the summer but she'll be back on the road in all her glory by October all things being well. Can't wait :)

That must be annoying! It is annoying enough being in Wales instead of England!

9. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Today I ordered all my components! Things will start arriving on Thursday, I can't wait :)

Here's a list of my final spec:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K £161.00
    GPU: XFX HD 6870 Black £126.82
    Ram: 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 £63.79
    M/B: Asus P8P67-M Pro £104.00
    PSU: CoolerMaster GX 650W £56.49
    HDD: Samsung F3 500GB £29.88
    +Existing 500GB
    +Existing 250GB for backups
    Case: Silverstone FT03 £122.73
    O/D: Samsung SN T083C £27.82
    Extras: Belkin Surge Protected Ext Cable x6 £5.62
    Buffalo Airstation £14.51
    Thermalright Chill Factor 2 £3.56

Total cost of computer: £716.22
    Total cost of internal hardware (original budget: £500): £569.80

I stayed fairly true to my internal hardware budget, the main extra cost was found in the fact that I hadn't considered the PSU! :confused: :duh:

I'll put that down to this being my first build! Anyway, I can't wait for all this to turn up, it's going to look super sexy :naughty:

I guess my bank account can't wait for me to actually earn the money I've just spent either... thank God for student overdrafts eh? My next pay check is three weeks away but this early payment won't cost me a penny in interest :D

10. markc123

markc123 What's a Dremel?

I tried 4 screens at work and gave up simply through lack of desk space :). Designs look good though and that desk was a bargain!

PC build looks very similar to what I put together last week, with the exception of an SSD - which I do reccomend highly. Buy one now so you don't have to reinstall windows when you decide you really need one!

11. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

Well, try live 90 miles above the polar circle... :p

12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I thought it was bad enough 150 miles south of it. Though lately I miss it. Freaking 108F with the heat index lately.

13. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Two more items arrived yesterday: my two metal chests of drawers and my new light fitting. Very happy with both, especially considering their prices! I will have pictures to upload soon but the ones I took last night were rushed and too blurred to see the light of day so I'll save a picture update for later tonight.

Also, there should be some more deliveries tonight... :)

14. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

looks like prison cells in norway. cosy and home style.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sorry to break the news but your GPU will only support 2 monitors.

To support more than that, at least one of the monitors needs to be connected by Displayport, and neither the Dell 2209WA or the Dell 1908FPs have this port.

I don't know where you have heard these 'rumours' from but someone should have mentioned that. Check out the Eyefinity page for more information

16. Huge

Huge aka Dave

No, but I assume I can use an adapter like this one to overcome that problem?

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yep! The only reason I didn't suggest that is that when they first came out they were super expensive, I guess the prices have come down.

18. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Phew, you worried me for a minute there. I can't go back to two monitors! I think you can pick them up for as little as a tenner now.

19. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Picture update time. Here are my new drawers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my new lights:

[​IMG]

And I came home to find three packages waiting for me. I wonder what has arrived today? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Wow nice :D