1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Not sure what to upgrade first....Please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by modfx, 11 Mar 2012.

1. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Hi Guys

I'm thinking of doing a couple of upgrades, but can't decide which to do first or if they are even necessary at this point and was wondering what peoples opinions are.

Firstly; I am still on 6Gb RAM at the moment as pointed out by another forum member and I'm looking to double it.

Secondly is the matter of my monitor; It's a Samsung SyncMaster 206BW. Am I wasting a GTX570 on it?

Which one should take priority?

If I go for the memory, should I just put in another 6Gb of the same, or Ebay my current ones and buy a 12Gb triple channel matched kit?

If its the monitor that goes, would I be right in thinking that something 24" 1920x1200 is my best option? Also, I have not a clue regarding decent monitors, nor do I have a budget, my thoughts being: its something that's going to outlast most other upgrades so if it's worth holding off and saving up some more cash then so be it.

Apart from web browsing, I use my pc for 2 things: Gaming and watching films, I never do any photo editing or other media production.

What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for advice.:)

EDIT: I've read the monitor advice thread but wondered if anyone had any more thoughts.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2012
  2. rollo

rollo Modder

The memory upgrade is pointless you will gain 0 Benifit in games or watching movies.

If your on a 1920 x 1080 screen already going to 1900x 1200 is basically spending cash for spending sake

Buy another 570 and sli them if ya wanna spend some cash

3. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

If you really want to spend your money on something I would suggest a Dell U2711, they are only just over £500 on scan now, used to be over 600, excellent monitors and a much more worthy upgrade than going from 1920 x 1080 to 1920 x 1200.

Go and enjoy some 2560 x 1440 cheesecake :D only thing I would say about that thought is the Gtx 570 might struggle with certain games do then you'd need to (depending on budget) start looking 3Gb Gtx 580's, second hand preferably as buying new so closer to Kepler's supposed release is made or get a 7970 or Gtx 680 but it's likely to only have 2Gb VRAM at launch which at that res isn't really enough, while there will be 4Gb cards later on, from what I've heard

4. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Feel like closing that bracket? ;)

And I agree, a proper monitor upgrade would be my choice, and seeing as his monitor has a resolution of 1680 x 1050, I think a U2412m would be a good choice, a U2711 maybe a bit out of reach, and then he could get a U3011 further down the line :)

5. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

You've got a pretty solid rig there already, if anything I'd suggest you'd see the most benefit from an SSD -- while it won't increase framerates in game you'll find your system to be generally more responsive.

I don't feel your 570 is wasted on your current monitor but it can comfortably drive a higher resolution panel -- it depends on the framerates you're comfortable with. Taking Battlefield BC2 as a performance metric 1920x1200 is about the highest I'd be happy with though I prefer a relatively high minimum/average framerate. With regards to what BT/CPC define as playable the 570 can stretch to a 2560x1600 panel in this case.

A monitor is well worth spending a decent amount of cash on though I'd keep the future in mind with regards to graphics cards as well -- there's not much point in buying a premium high resolution panel if you're not comfortable with spending money when you upgrade later on a high end GPU to drive it.

For your specific setup a RAM upgrade would provide negligible benefits as the majority of games won't even make full use of the RAM you already have.

6. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

What you guys have said pretty much sums up my thoughts about the memory; it got brought up in the rate my rig thread and I thought I'd just see what other peoples opinions were.

I have been thinking about a SSD for a while but as I'm not too flush at the mo and it won't improve framerates, not overly fussed about not having it.

I'm very fussy about my peripherals, they're going to last me a long time so I think of it as an investment.

From what you guys have said, maybe a u2711 as I have been toying with the idea of a second 570. Hows that sound?

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sounds like a great idea to me.
    Although Nvidia Kepler (GTX 600 series) is supposed to come in April. So maybe go with Nvidia new GPU or second 570.

If you want the monitor asap, then your GPU should be fine, just reduce some game settings and your good until the GPU comes out. Or buy a second hand Geforce 570.

8. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Ha, cheers dude, sorry forgot, am on my phone at work ATM

9. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I agree with the above statements really.

The RAM upgrade isnt really needed 6gb is fine.

of the 2 you want, the monitor would be the choice I would take. And i agree with people saying the U2412m, your GPU is fine and for now you wont have issues.

10. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Hmmm. Now, the question is 24 or 27.
    I hate having to reduce any settings which is part of the reason I've stuck with this res so long (bought the 206bw in 2006-7 can't remember which). The 5 series is starting to get a bit old (as helpfully pointed out) now so i might once again scrap the sli idea in favour of a new gen card. Saying that, I've seen 570s for 70-100 on ebay.....I'm confused now :sigh:

11. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Like I said before, I would recommend getting a 24" now, as you wont have to reduce any settings, but the quality of the panel is increasing. Then you could upgrade the GPU, and get a 30" or multiple display set up :)

12. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

I had a look on scan, u2412 is £234 and the u2711 £552.

Decision made:
    1. Buy a U2412m

2. Hang on to the £300 odd saved

3. Using step 2, buy GTX680 or similar on release

4. Profit!

:D

Thanks Guys

Oh, is Dell definitely the way to go then or are there better panels for under £300?