1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks New router help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adamg64, 30 Oct 2013.

1. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, would love some advice on a new router its not something i have ever purchased before as ISP provided hardware is normally survice for what i need.

However i have moved into a bigger house and my wifi range is terrible and slow speeds and way too many dropouts.

Im on BT Infinty and i have it cabled for my main gaming PC but connect comsoles, phones etc.

Mainly as i have a baby on the way and i have gone all high tech and bought a baby monitor that u can use on wifi and connect your ipad/iphone to them and monitor our new addition.

But with wifi so poor upstairs i really need to improve this with her due to arrive in a few weeks i dont wanna go over bored but would like something with greatly improved speeds and range £100 budget.

Hope somebody can help

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Not an easy question to answer TBH much depends on placement of your router. best to have it on the wall (center of you house) by the stairs.

As to which router the Cisco E4200 is quite good.

you keep the router you got from ISP and drop it into modem mode then connect the router over PORT:1 using a LAN Cable.

Thats the skinny version :D

3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I'd go with the Asus RT-N66U. It's just slightly over your budget but gets rave reviews. It would replace your ISP supplied router (a Home Hub of some kind I presume) and will plug directly into the Openreach fibre modem.

4. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

+1 for the RT-N66U.

5. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

If you have a android phone wifi analyzer and wonder around house

6. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

thanks for the reply guys, that was one that i found some great read ups on.

If I'm honest my router is not exactly in the greatest area of the house but i still feel i should be getting better range and strenght just need to find a good deal now.

Don't have android malc but will have to check if apple do some similar.

7. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

ordered from amazon for £99.99 good price will run some tests, good thing about amazon if im not impressed there returns are amazing :thumb:

8. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

9. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

thanks for the advice guys the new router is running nicely and improved not had any dropouts and improved speeds and signal well happy!