1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete RAGNARS REVENGE, 3x GERMAN CHAMPION, COMPLETED!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by abbas-it, 19 Apr 2015.

1. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

Hi guys, I would like to introduce you to my new scratch build project called
    RAGNARS REVENGE, THE VIKING COMPUTER
    this bloodthirsty build is all about those brave, cruel and still fascinating warriors, the vikings, who stormed many a and the british coasts and eventually became a part of our history as well as our culture.
    the motivational certainly came from the TV series VIKINGS but it will not be a replica of any kind. that just helped to kick this project off. I always wanted to address the VIKING theme in a mod
    and here goes.
    it will be mostly made of wood and the design will integrate as many middle age elements as i can think of and will also remind us a lot of the weapons and tools they used. it will also have fantasy parts too which most prabaly are just legends and somehow found their was in to stories like the helmets and the horns on them, is all rubbish. but when a kid sees them then he or she knows it means its a viking so was a must.
    it must be a n organic wood build because of exactly the theme i am building so wood is essential here. more to come..
    http://www.mod-images.de/album/IA

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Dec 2015
  2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Looking forward to it abbas. :)

Cool show as well. :)

3. abbas-it

you said it waynio, its really a cool show, and here is the mod to it. its not a replica of anything in the show, its my abstract but exact interpretation as a scratch build.
    you cannot see much yet excepte for the more or less basic structure. still along way to go from here.
    one this is for sure, i want that all mechanised parts can be seen, though electrically driven, in a way that it looks as of cogs and winches and other medieval technology is working them. with chains and ropes and so forth.
    also i want that without actually integrating it you should see the form "V" from many a perspective like the front of the case and other elements yet to come. the ships, the oars, the shields and other typical reminders of this cultrue will also be integrated. the inside will also do justice to the theme.
    here are the first pics..
    first of all i glued and screwed the basic chassis together

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i firstly need the rough chassis upon which i can then build.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the cd tray can be screwed on and off, its slide n click on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

time to start with the doors, didnt just want straight forward easy sides. these complexer ones will be medievally mechanised and should be similar to the viking sails as far as the form allows it. as if they have wind in the sails, all puffed up. they will hold certain stuff yet to come, thats why they have so much depth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i want that the doors when closed should shroud the whole case left and right like ragnars blanketting shrouding he always has on in wiinter.[like arms opeing and closing/SIZE]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here you can see the slightly better results after sanding and cutting off theexess wood. its slowly taking form and you can now see the first front V form which through which the front fans look out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then i needed a door mounting system that lets them open more than 90° but doesnt look too modern and is still exact, so i made my own a single axle on both sides. had to tack and tape the doors in place ffirst because they have to be very very exact to close making the V in the front as axact as possible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i decided, well because i couldnt wait to atatckk the motorisation which should be visibly mechanical pulleys and chains. maybe i change the design, but here are the first results, works greta too. you see the chains working and the wheels turing as if they were being pulled my warriors. sounds oldisch too.

first i need springs to pull them back each time, these were from a desk lamp and will be concealed later on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here is a short video, something went wrong with the sound, but you can see how the doors work good. still wothout limit switches, all just shorting but it will all change of course. more to come

Last edited: 3 May 2015
  4. abbas-it

oops forgot the video, here it is

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ah, Up to your usual tricks.:D Looks fun, and a little over the top.
    -I think that's a good thing, unless this rig starts pillaging.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looking good. :)

7. abbas-it

thx guys, and now after a silence period because of an other contest, i am back and #RAGNERS REVENGE has come quite far since last post. will keep them more frequent now because i have to be finished for the DCMM at the gamescom in august.
    anyway its time for an update.

first some basic structure pics upon which i can further decorate and build.
    pleasem note that all these fitting will be effect painted in an own technique so that they will eventually look like hammered iron.

first i made a cd cover in a typical Viking V shape

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i then decided to attack the base. this will be a bit like anturned upside down top deck of a viking longboat, i will mount the rambocks on it which will be hidden switches too. the warrior handles are pressable, if you know:)and i also started to top front which will then soon hold the webcam which will be on a type of wooden mechanical looking catapult seesaw, which will have ahelmet on it. even though motorised you will only see the chains and pullys making it medievel style.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all the grooves through out this mod are hand carved with a stanley knife. didnt want the precision of a dremel or anything because they should look very medieval non eletric tool time made :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these rambocks, typical for the vikings were partially made on site before they stormed the castles and had wheels, mine dont, but the handles on which the warriors pushed forward are not all static. some of them are secret switches and can be pushes to press hidden switches inside the hull.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

carried on with the front, carving in grooves all over
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then it was time to make some iron orey wooden fittings, they still look like playdoh but wait and see the laterpics with the rights paintjob.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    time for the first weaponry whithout which this mod would certainly not be a VIKING.
    swords axes and helmets, still need some shields which will comes soon too, and oars etc..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i made this very filgrane piece of sword and axe out of beech wood, its harder and cannot snap like the whiteish poplar wood which dominates.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then it was time to integrate the front webcam which will be conceal and revealabe with the mechanicalseesaw medieval style in the helmet which is still not finished here though.
    [​IMG]
    the camera will also be painted in iron ore hammered irony look
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i love the fact that this is all computer and electric driven stuff but made to look medieval mechanical, great theme here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more to come...

8. _TechPuppet_

_TechPuppet_ What's a Dremel?

9. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

OMG!!! two epic looking mods at the same time? not my style but it certainly fit you.... great work Wood Pecker ( my new nickname for you ) :D

10. abbas-it

woodpecker, nice, i like it. more to come tonight, actually you will se where this is going when color starts coming into the game.

11. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Can't wait to see how it turns out. I loved the slim black build you did it was stunning. and everything in wood. awesome :D

12. abbas-it

thanks you mean THE DARK KNIGHT, yes it just won 2nd place at the coolermaster world series, am really happy about that. it now has 3 gold and 2 silvers at different contests as well as a is also the reiging GERMAN CHAMPION, well at least till august then i hope to defend its title at the gamescom, keepy your fingers crossed for THE 67th BRIGADE, all 100 % handmad again a fire brigade theme, is also here at bit-tech.
    http://www.the-perfect-computer.com/conception-unique-n10-the-67th-brigade/

13. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Now that's my style. it got that kinda medieval and steampunk look to it and man m drooling all over it :D

14. jones-965

jones-965 Modding & tuning

The youre work fantastic. The DCMM but you can see? :)

15. abbas-it

hey jones the maestro, how are you doing, thx. see you at the dcmm???

thx to techpuppett and sanjaya and here is an update.
    the viking helmet at the front top can be lifted electrically while looking as if its lifted witha typical
    draw bridge mechanical winch pulley system. have amde cogs and chains on levers and manual turn wheels etc. to match that idea. its not finished yet, need some viking deco. but it works, here are the results, now i can conceal and reveal the kamera which is too modern for tze theme, but will be viking deco-ed anyway.
    oh yes and the helmet is not yet finished but now has its horns too.:lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Holy... this is awesome! Those details.. wood looks so nice. Great theme, love your project:thumb:

17. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:clap: great work with motorizes side panels and helmet too !!

18. jones-965

jones-965 Modding & tuning

19. Vinch

Vinch What's a Dremel?

Damn! Such brilliant ideas here :jawdrop: The execution and the woodwork are awesome! Really looking forward to see that painted!

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:rock::clap: Awesome as always. :)