1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo loses 3DS patent battle

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 7 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is this going to another nail in the coffin for Nintendo ?

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I really hope not.

4. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

personally i think the wiiu isnt really that bad. the wii was the mistake, wiiu is right about where you would need it to be to comfortably view vids and play casual games. the crap that couldnt even use hdmi or HD was a total embarrassment to tech but the wiiu gets all the heat.

5. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I don't think this is a big issue for them personally, the numbers that are used, $105m in royalties, are large but then that's 35 million units sold which is also alot for Nintendo.

Also I don't think the Wii U will be a problem for Nintendo either as I don't think they'll just give up on it, look at what happened with the Gamecube that should have sunk them like the DC did for Sega but I know I (and others I know) but their consoles to play their exclusive IP's not the third party stuff.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

As a WII owner, I see nothing enticing about the WIIU.
    Okay, hdmi would have been nice, but otherwise...
    The advertisements rotate around the second screen controller, but (imho) fail to show the value of this feature.

7. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

yeah the commercials really dont give credit to how awesome that pad is. infact i'm really really hoping someone finds a way to use it with a comp someday :D. it's surprisingly comfortable despite it's size, while not high quality the screen has a respectable response time, and while not universal a lot of the video apps will let you use the pad to watch if your alone without ever having to even touch your tv. it has it's flaws but overall that pad is flat out enjoyable.

8. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I hardly think paying a 1.82% royalty amounts to so much as a tack in this "coffin" you're imagining Nintendo to occupy.

This is a company that's been around for well better than 100 years. Yeah, they've made a handful of mis-steps these past few, but to think they're going to just suddenly go under is foolish.

They don't have the death-grip on the industry they once had, true, but the company is far from stupid. They'll adapt and survive.

Although I do hope they still kick themselves over the meltdown in the partnership with Sony. That's gotta sting.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not the one imagining it, i was just pointing out that they haven't had the best run of luck recently and this latest news just adds to the bad news we keep hearing on Nintendo.

Personally i want them to still be around in 10-20 years time, and anyhow 'analysts' for what they are worth say Sony has a higher chance (%78) of going bankrupt within the next two year than Nintendo.

Tags: Add Tags