1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress MISC - Final video - july 27th

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hukkel, 9 Jun 2016.

1. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

[​IMG]

Hi everyone, time to start a new buildlog. Esport United is a Swedish Esport organisation that has a booth at every Swedish Dreamhack event. http://esportunited.com/ This year they wanted to give away a complete gaming casemod amongst the new subscribers to them. (A raffle amongst the people subscribing to them at the Dreamhack Summer event).

They partnered up with Thermaltake EU and I was asked by them to facilitate in creating the mod. Later in the process MSI Europe and Avexir later agreed to facilitate in the project as well.

So here we go then 

Here is a list of the specifications:

Thermaltake Core P5 chassis
    Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 1200W
    Thermaltake Commander FT fancontroller
    Thermaltake Riing fans 120mm x12
    Thermaltake full custom DUAL watercooling loop

Intel i7-6700K
    MSI Z170A SLI PLUS
    MSI Nvidia GTX970 Gaming 4G
    MSI Nvidia GTX970 Gaming 4G
    MSI Gaming Series SLI bridge
    Avexir Blitz 4*4GB DDR4
    Avexir S100 SSD 120GB
    Western Digital 2TB HDD

The theme for the project is Star Citizen, specifically design elements of a ship by the MISC company. With colours being grey, black, orange and white.

Thank you to all partners for having faith in my work and giving me the opportunity. :rock:

This first post will be MASSIVE with pictures of all the hardware and in the end the first steps of modding the chassis.

Enjoy! :dremel: :thumb:

Core P5 Chassis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The MSI hardware

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our CPU for this build

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AVEXIR hardware

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thermaltake hardware and watercooling

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitting the hardware on the motherboard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went onto Skype with my buddy Django Soeterboek and we drew up some custom panels for the Core P5. I wanted to make a mod with it that no one has done until now. You see a LOT of Core P5 mods and watercooling builds. And I wanted it to be different persé. So a custom front and rear panel to accommodate the new lay-out I have in mind. And to hang the PSU under the case. Yes under the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to put the jigsaw to use to make sure the openings of the new panels were also in the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then made some brackets and modified the standard pump brackets to make sure the pumps would fit into the case the way I wanted. Which is upright with the pump hanging through the bottom plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then fitted the radiators and fans to the chassis. The rads basically hang on the rear panel. Which is 3mm thick aluminium so holds fine. I had to drill 2 extra holes in the plate so the in- and outlet ports would also be accessible xD

This is my oldest daughter that likes to help her daddy build and mod. This makes a daddy a very very very very happy daddy. <3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now making sure the power supply can hang under the case with the new brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this making holes in the top panel and tapping them so the standoffs could be places. Then making holes for the GPU to be placed and the standard Core P5 IO shield so the gfx cards won’t fall off xD. They have to be very secure because it will be getting shipped to Dreamhack on Monday the 13th of june. Otherwise it won’t make Dreamhack Summer 2016in time 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that is all so far for the update. I hope you are enjoying it. See you at the next update!

Last edited: 26 Jul 2016
  2. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Nice one Tim, great start! :D

3. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thanks buddy :clap:

4. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

So I went back to designing the bottom side of the case. As always with Django. Since the theme is Star Citizen I has the idea of the glass plate on the bottom so the light could reflect in it and maybe even a bit if the shape of the bottom of the case.

Having the PSU and radiators hang from the bottom it already directed to a certain shape which actually worked really well for a ship or space ship with the middle being lower.

Here are the grills/covers we designed and lasercut from 3mm side side matt acrylic.
    I bent them using my trusty ghetto heatwire bender that still works above my expectations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also spent time making all the extension cables. I was still waiting for the final few parts to arrive before I could go on building.

Making your own sleeved extensions is not exactly FUN, but making your opwn cables from scratch is extremely fullfilling. Having the exact length and colours you need/want. It just makes me feel good when testfiting them and thinking "yep this is exactly what I needed".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started testfitting the PSU cover and grill. And drilled 2 holes in it so the bottom 3 fans on each side could be routed straight into case out of sight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also created 2 panels for around the fancontroller. In the end it will fit there flush with the panels.

[​IMG]

Last I received the HDD for this build. It is a 2TB WD Blue so nice for storage of all the files and games and whatnot. I still had a HDD cooler lying around somewhere. Which would work perfectly for this mod. Fits right inside the thin case, is stealthy and keeps the HDD cool. Plus it gives a nice way to fit the HDD to the chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Small update. When the top panel is on you can still see the inside a bit and I wanted that to be as black as possible so it would not distract. So I took it apart and put black vinyl over the top of the bottom panel. I also put vinyl on the mounts of the pumps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I spent some time taking care of the gfx cards and waterblocks + backplates. The block do not cover the entire pcb so I wanted to add this at the very minimum.

I wanted them to also have the same silver and black theme to them. And of course later on the orange coolant in it.

I personally like how it ended up looking. Especially the small touches of carbon vinyl add to the vibe I want for this mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Nice work mate, I love the fact you made it full cover.
    Did you remove those little bubbles from the vinyl?

8. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

The bubbles are the screws in the backplate :)
    So I couldn't get rid of those.

Thanks :) I also wanted to cover up the PCB. It looks more powerfull this way.

9. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I wanted to test the fancontroller, but before that I really needed to do something about the cable management for the fans. With 12 fans in a small space that is kinda needed. So I ordered 4 PCBs.

[​IMG]

BEFORE CABLE MANAGEMENT

[​IMG]

AFTER CABLE MANAGEMENT

[​IMG]

TESTING THE FANCONTROLLER AND FANS

I really like the riing fans.

[​IMG]

10. rrtype

rrtype What's a Dremel?

A great start but a mod on P5 that destroy the p5 imho it's not a great choice (a p5 or something else was the same in this case)

look at the P5 of Twister , a great mod that give more valor to the p5 case

11. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

haha well 90% of all P5 mods are actually just builds. I wanted to do something completely different from them. I think I succeeded in that :)

All main parts of the Core P5 are still there. I just put it upside down and placed hardware in another position. :)

12. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I drilled the holes to fit the Avexir SSD. This SSD cannot be taken from the system when on display lol. Not unless you break a piece of the 3mm aluminium from it. Good luck to whoever wants to try that.

I also added just a little vinyl to make the design follow the lines of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to fit the reservoir on top of the fans so it would sit even lower. But due to the thickness of the pumptops the fluid level wouldn't sit higher than the top anymore. So I had to mount them to the top aluminium plate. I chose to go with plexiglass (6mm) brackets so it wouldn't obstruct the effect of the LED fans very much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am quite pleased with how the gfx cards ended up. They really fit the theme of the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Before I do the tubing all cables need to be finished. Because I cannot get to them otherwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Started tubing up the system. Quite satisfied with the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I started filling the loop / leaktesting and also fitted the last plexiglass grills I made for the bottom side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I covered a big part of the MSI SLI bridge with black vinyl as it was a big too much red for this black/silver/orange build.

[​IMG]

Here are the photos in the dark of the finished project. I really wanted that mirror effect in the glass to also see the bottom lights and grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Hereare the final photos in daylight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. colinmcr

colinmcr What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop:

Great work as always mate.

19. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thank you very much Colin :clap:

20. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Here are some pictures from Dreamhack 2016 summer edition.

I entered the Cooler Master casemod contest with the mod.
    The system was on the booth so people could see the link where to sign in to win the casemod.
    In one of the pictures you can see the winner :)
    We had a booth with a Team Fortress 2 tournament going on.
    We also had a simulator where you could play Star Citizen on.

I added some random pictures for the atmosphere there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]