1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft confirms, then denies, Windows 9

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. ADJB

ADJB What's a Dremel?

I don't think that this annual release cycle is such a good idea for the desktop version of Windows.

The vast bulk of the income Microsoft gets from the desktop OS market comes from it's big commercial users and they are not going to adopt an annual update cycle. It's far too risky and expensive and in the really big organisations impractical purely due to the timescale. From experience I can say that it will take longer than a year just to test all the apps and hardware let alone roll it out and possibly retrain users.

This means that people will settle on the last decent LTS version, at the moment Win 7 for industry, and then stick with that for at least the next 6 years when an upgrade can be considered at the same time as a hardware refresh which will be about due. The simple fact is that Microsoft doesn't have any killer reason for it's big users to upgrade and I can't even think of one they could put in which would be really convincing rather than "just nice".

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Desktop OSs and big commercial users are so last year man :)
    Ain't you heard mobile is the big thing nowadays, they out sell desktop PC by something like 3 to 1.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Unless you're Microsoft. Aw, snap!

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Why announce it in September when it won't even be available to buy for another 6mths or so...waste of time really.

6. Gareth Halfacree

'Cos they're going to run a public beta. Sorry, tech preview. That's what next week's press conference will announce (probably): Windows 9 Technology Preview.

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Anyone else getting this when you click on the link?

[​IMG]

8. Gareth Halfacree

S'working fine from 'ere. Looks like a ghost of the server move, although DNS should have propagated everywhere by now. Is there any way you can find out what IP address your phone is going to, there?

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Walk into a large company, take away all the desktop pcs and replace them with mobiles, see what reaction it will trigger.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I did earlier on my PC, but it's now working.

11. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Big commercial users are the big companies, you dont give your employes mobile devices to work on spreadsheets. Dont be supriced if one of those employes still needs a floppy disk drive for some reason! :D

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If we were given Surface machines I'd be pretty f'in happy to be honest! :)

13. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Yeah all good now Gareth

14. Xir

Xir Modder

We did this week, and had to search thoroughly for one :D

3/4 of our production equipment probably still has floppydrives though, maybe we should have searched there.