1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Konami shows off new open world Metal Gear Solid

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 31 Aug 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Since when? :eyebrow: The MGS enthusiast friends I have absolutely loathed Raiden...

Last edited: 31 Aug 2012
  3. bowman

bowman Minimodder

The demo was running on a PC -- it had better ****ing come to the PC as well. ****ing console dev knobs.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Inverted commas or single quotation marks for non-quoted speech typically indicate sarcasm.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It better not be a ****ing MMO.

6. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Raiden ruined MSG2 for me. Horrible horrible decision to put him in the game in place of Snake. Disgraceful in fact.

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

Raiden is kojima's favourite and his been trying to kill snake ever since. MGS2 was a big WTF moment that only kept ppl playing like myself right to the end cos of the disbelief that u playing with this nobody and the thought "naaahhh this is just the first small part, next mission i will play with snake".

MGS 4 was the first time i thought Raiden was super cool. but still will take snake anyday of the week.

8. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Raider wasn't 'that' bad at the end of the day, but doesn't really compare to snake.

9. Paradigm Shifter

I guess the eyebrow didn't translate my tone as well as I'd hoped. :sigh: ;)

bowman... chances of a new Metal Gear game appearing on the PC are slim-to-none. I think Konami got burned with MGS2, as that was a really abominable port. Which was a shame, as MGS (back when Microsoft still published PC games rather than their current XBox obsession) was a really well done port that worked great.

10. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Exactly. It boggles my mind what some game designers do to their games. It's like they've never heard of market research.

If Kojami had asked the community 'Do you want to play as a blonde-haired ponce instead of Snake?', 99.9999999999% would have said NOOOOOOO. But instead they go against all common sense and do just that.

Same can be said of games like Cod where the developers have consistently put weapons/attachments/perks/maps in the game which are totally against what the community want, because those things clearly unbalance the playing experience for everyone.

If you HAVE to put Raiden in, put him in as an NPC and be done with it.

Metal Gear Solid is about Solid Snake. End of.

11. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

oh how I wish devs would develop their games on and for PC, and then port a stripped down version to consoles rather than dev for consoles and port the stripped down game to PCs...

*looks at Devil May Cry 3 box and Win7 PC with rageful longing*

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  12. Griffter

haha, i also missed that. got the topic flowing tho :)

does that mean consoles 'are the best' :D

13. Paradigm Shifter

Haha, agree completely! :thumb:

It's a pity that the DMC that was well ported to the PC (DMC4) I absolutely hated for exactly the same reason I disliked MGS2 - a sudden, inexplicable, new main character and total personality shift for the 'established' main character. :wallbash:

I actually hold DMC4 up as a good example of what can be done well with a PC port. And then I hold it up as another good example of what you shouldn't do to extablished IP.

I fear the 'reboot' may get that treatment as well...

14. Griffter

i wonder if we could have sued kojima productions for false advertising for mgs2.. trailers, screenshots everything only showed snake and coming back to gaming. these same ppl sue others for less

15. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I don't understand why everyone is so butthurt about Raiden. Big friggin deal. I don't recall the game being called 'Metal Gear Solid Snake'. You played as him for about two thirds of MGS2 and that's it for the whole series. In MGS3 you play a different character for the entire game, but does anyone whine about that? No, probably because most people don't realise that little fact.

So Solid Snake is a great character, and yes, Raiden was a bit feminine in MGS2, but he didn't have any less ability than Snake when you played as him (apart from the badass-ness). The story required this character and so you played as him, get over it. In the grand scheme of things, Raiden is only playable for a small fraction of the series - and all main games to date are telling the same story.

16. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Snake is synonymous with MGS, been that way since Nintendo, the problem with Raiden is no.1 he is not Snake and no.2 he doesn't fit into the storyline that had continued through all the MGS series oh and no.3 he's not Snake

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

17. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Once I got used to Nero I actually started to prefer him to Dante - the Devil Bringer made for a refreshing and useful combat mechanic! As a character he was annoying though...

18. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

But who decided that Snake was synonymous with MGS? Was it really Kojima, or the fanbase? Raiden appeared in the second game (third if you include the NES game - though some may not count that). If there had been multiple games (I'm talking four or more) where Solid Snake was the main character, then all of a sudden... Raiden, I could sort of understand the frustration.

19. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

Links a 10 minute video opening sequence for the game.

pretty

I dont care which operative it uses, snake looks in for a slice of the pie though!

20. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

You clearly didn't play/enjoy the games very much. Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 shaped my adolescence. He was the coolest thing since sliced bread. I played the demo of MSG2 some time in 2001 (I think) and was blown away by the new game, and the demo had no Raiden in it at all.

To then take out the main character and replace him with something totally unconnected and out of place with the series, and against the wishes of every single Metal Gear fan, is total suicide if your Konami. A major retard decision in every respect.

Now then, while it's true Raiden is not the main character in MGS3/4, you're hardly playing as 'the' Solid Snake in those games either.

While 3 was OK, I don't really want to play as Big Boss in a jungle. Yes, he's essentially Solid Snake in every shape and form, but imo the locale doesn't suite a Metal Gear game, or at least the way it was implemented for MGS3.

And finally, for MGS4 we're hardly playing as Solid Snake in his prime; we're playing as him in old age with grey hair. It's just not the same. Imagine if you had to play as Lara Croft at age 65 with grey hair and wrinkles, would you enjoy it the same? Exactly, you wouldn't.

So fans have never really got to play as the 'proper' Snake since the very start of MGS2, and of course the original MGS.

This. Spot on.

Are you really trying to suggest Solid Snake isn't the main protagonist of Metal Gear Solid and more generally the Metal Gear series? Come on, he shaped the whole series. He's probably the coolest game character ever conceived. Without Snake the series wouldn't have been as big (and David Hayter).

Anyway, for the time being, let's just enjoy the official demo :).

Tags: Add Tags