1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Splinter Cell: Conviction Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 29 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

My copy should be coming through the door any second now...I'm very excited.

I did consider doing the whole 'boycott ubisoft lol' think, then I remembered what a ridiculous Splinter Cell fanboy I am.

EDIT: It's just arrived. Time to find out who killed my daughter!

Last edited: 29 Apr 2010
  3. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

It's not Splinter Cell anymore, it's just another shooter. I think the Hitman series does it better still.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Well, naturally. Hitman: Blood Money is one of the best games, ever.

5. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

So, seems a game i'd reallly like. does it have the same horrible always-on drm?

6. veato

veato I should be working

I think a certain Mr Fisher is either getting younger or has Just for Men tucked away in the bathroom cabinet.

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

just out of interest (as I'm not getting SC anyway, didn't like the first SC and I've still got a sealed copy of the 2nd one that came with my old xbox), is the PC version still stuck with Ubi's always on internet connection?

8. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Yes but as the game is only 5 hours long I don't expect you'll have many problems.

9. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I was getting excited about this and thinking of getting it, then in the 2nd to last paragraph I saw it's published by Ubisoft. Such a shame, but hell I'm still working through the games I bought in the Steam new year's sale so I can be kept busy! Maybe sometime soon someone at Ubisoft will come to their senses and scrap their useless DRM, and then I can pick this up in the bargain big/Steam weekend sale.

10. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Right, so I've installed it and surprisingly the DRM didn't give me any issues at all.

But I can't get my controller to work properly. Joe, did you use a 360 controller in your review? Or did you mouse/keyboard it?

Very odd as the game claims to have full controller support but all the buttons are incorrect and the right analogue stick isn't working...

11. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

5 hours long? wtf, it's sale price better be no more than €30 :)

12. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Well there is a substantial co-op campaign which I haven't played yet, a buddy of mine owns the xbox 360 and I'm dependant on him to play the game.

13. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

5 hours?

I'll wait till it's on sale thanks.

Great review btw, I've played every Splinter Cell, and was looking forward to this.

14. acsnet83

acsnet83 woopa

I enjoyed playing it but it is just another shooter as another user mentioned

15. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Anyone else had any issues with the xbox controller on windows? The buttons are all mapped wrong!?

16. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Scroll up, I had the same problem. Long thread about it on Ubi's forum, official response "we're looking into it". Seems to mostly be affecting Windows 7 64bit users.

17. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

It's kind of funny that Joe describes Double Agent as "terrible" yet bit-tech gave it a 9. http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/xbox-360/2006/11/08/splinter_cell_double_agent/2 I know it's a different reviewer but still. Maybe he was referring to the quality of the PC port which was indeed piss-poor. The game itself isn't the high point of the series but I would hardly use the term "terrible" . But to each his own. :)

18. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

hmm, didn't catch a single hint about the coop campaign in the review... have to check into it more, as coop is fun but only with a mate of course :)

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I am describing the PC port, which is the only one I've played.

Also, Ryan had no taste ;)

20. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Double agent was a pile of crap. Completely lazy attempt at a game. Although, so far, I actually enjoyed that buggy mess a lot more than I am enjoying the new game. I haven't had to hide a single body yet! I don't think there is even the option!

Also, why does the screen go black and white when in shadows? I'm in the shadows most of the time! I now actually have a hatred for colour saturation! Not to mention that it's actually harder to make out the light areas you need to avoid when everything is black and white...

Also, I'm either running or walking. Why did they do away with the mouse wheel controlled speed? That was absolutely excellent.

Also, who can hear the Bourne film soundtrack lurking about in the background? This is clearly a big influence!

This is not a stealth game any more...

(I haven't read the review yet, just ranting... Perhaps my expectations were a little off...)

Last edited: 30 Apr 2010
Tags: Add Tags